Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

first time mom, carseat ?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

please dont think im an idiot, but this is my first child.u cant expect me to just "know" these things.

so i just read this other post about carseats. and i didnt realize there were so many diff kinds of carseats. so please educate me! what is a convertible carseat? im pretty sure the carseat my son has is an infant car seat. hes 5 months 17lbs and 26 inches. and we live in cali. do i need a convertible carseat? when?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

young mom to beautiful baby boy jacob carter and girlfriend of 4&1/2 years to justin<333

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama2ETA
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:02 PM

You do! Definitely! If your son is on the taller side for his age, I would recommend getting a Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL for extended rear facing (you are going to get this a lot) and if he is on the shorter side, a more affordable seat is Graco MyRide 65. Sunshine kids radian xtsl rear faces to 45 lbs and forward faces to 80lbs (which is GREAT for a USA seat) and the myride 65 rear faces to 40lbs and forward faces to 65lbs.

ETA: These are just my personal reccomendations.

dosthepost
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:05 PM

You will need a convertible car seat... when your son's head is less than an inch from the top of his car seat and/or he reaches the maximum weight for his seat (most infant seats go to 22 lbs). There are LOTS of convertibles on the market... and a few things come into play when you're choosing one.

1. does your child have an abnormally tall upper body? 

2. What is your budget?

3. What do you drive? how many seats do you need to fit across your back seat?

4. how long do you want to rear face?

bbmkfo03
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:10 PM

I used the carrier that came with my travel system, Evenflo, until dd was 3 months then used the convertible car seat I registered for (didnt do much research, my fault) but then bought her a new convertible when she was 10 months or so, the Radian XTSL. It was expensive but she'll be in it for a long time b/c I am extended rear facing her, she's 14 months now. If you're confused about what to buy join the car seat safety group! That's where I learned about the Radian.  Good luck to you!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
MommaBunch84
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Join the car seat safety group (just click on my siggy). We would be happy to answer all of your questions there with 100% accurate information.  

sallymoon
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM

A convertible car seat can rear face and forward face.  Most babies outgrow a typical infant seat before the turn a year old.  An infant seat is outgrown either when the child hits the weight limit (typical is 22 lbs, some are rated to 30, 32 or 35 lbs) or when the child has less than an inch of shell above their head, whichever comes first.  A child then moves to a convertible seat, in the rear facing mode.  A child must remain rear facing until they are both other 12 months old AND over 20 lbs (a 19 lbs 2 year old must still rear face, a 27 lbs 10 month old must still rear face).  This is just the legal minimum.  It is 5 times safer to keep them rear facing as long as possible.  Weight limits vary greatly for convertible seats.  Some only rear face to 30 lbs and forward face to 40 lbs, and other can rear face to 45 lbs and forward face up to 80 lbs.  Just as with the infant seat, a child can remain rear facing in a convertible seat until they either hit the rear facing weight limit or have less than an inch of shell above their head.  You can move your child into a convertible seat as soon as they fit.  Most convertible seats start at 5 lbs, but the height of the harness slots is also important.  The harness straps must be at or below the shoulders of a child who is rear facing, never above.  Some convertible seats have higher bottom harness slots that do that fit younger babies well.  Most likely your child will fit in most any convertible seat by now, though.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Quoting MommaBunch84:

Join the car seat safety group (just click on my siggy). We would be happy to answer all of your questions there with 100% accurate information.  

Agree.

kerijeanbean
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I just got the seat in AM-BRAT's siggy.  I love it and my daughter really likes it.  There were on sale at Walamrt.  I am not sure if they still are, but I would check it out.  It is the Graco MyRide 65.  It goes to 40 pounds rear facing and 65 forward facing with the 5 point harness.

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:22 PM

You will likely need a convertible, which can be used rear facing and then forward facing.  The child MUST have 1" of hardshell above his head to remain in his infant carrier.  When he doesn't, or has exceeded the weight limit, you will need to put him rear facing in a convertible car seat.  It is recommended by the AAP that you rear face to at least 2 years AND 30lbs, preferably the limits of your convertible seat.  LEGALLY you MUST rear face to at LEAST 1 year AND 20lbs.  That is not a safe minimum though and it is strongly advised that you rear face beyond the legal minimum.
You can head over to the car seat safety group and get a ton of info on different seats (A very popular seat right now is the Graco MyRide 65 which will rear face until 40lbs, then turn around and forward face to 65lbs.)   

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:23 PM

No one is going to think your an idiot!!!  Actually I would bet money everyone thinks that you gotta be pretty darn smart to know when to ask for help.  dosthepost had some great questions that will help you narrow it down which one will work best for you guys.  Also hope you'll be open to information on extended rear facing as well!!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:39 PM

I have two of them and love them, see sig.

MyRides are not for everyone though, that's why we directed you to the safety group.

Quoting kerijeanbean:

I just got the seat in AM-BRAT's siggy.  I love it and my daughter really likes it.  There were on sale at Walamrt.  I am not sure if they still are, but I would check it out.  It is the Graco MyRide 65.  It goes to 40 pounds rear facing and 65 forward facing with the 5 point harness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)