Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SweetPeaProject...blankets for stillborn babies

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM
  • 21 Replies

Hello everyone! I am starting a blanket drive in honor of my baby boy Drake who was stillborn October 28th of 2009.

The Sweet Pea Project was started by a woman named Stephanie Cole after her daughter, Madeline, was stillborn at 41 weeks...a week after her duedate. She wanted to start this porject because many of the parents out there who have to go through such a hard tradgedy of losing their baby, are often left with nothing to remember their babies by. These women are leaving the hospital empty handed when they should be carrying out their brand new baby boy or girl.

When I left the hospital the following day after giving birth, it was very hard having to walk through the birthing center where you hear all these babies crying and see all these mothers holding their babies..and you are leaving with nothing.

I want to give these parents something to take home with them to cherish their babies memory. These blankets will be given to hospitals that will in return wrap these precious babies up in and once its time to say goodbye, they will be handed off to the parents to take home.

If you are interested in donating a blanket or a money donation to help support this project, please send me a message so I can get the info out to you.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this!

~Kristi, Jamie, Carter and our lil angel Drake<3

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 4:04 AM

What a lovely idea! 

I'm sorry for your loss.

newmommy42009
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 4:07 AM

That is a fantastic idea! I am truly sorry for your loss.

carterj1220
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Thnk you so much!

iluvmy2pumpkins
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM

BUMP!

bensmum25
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Are they just receiving blankets being donated or could I crochet/knit/quilt and little blanky to send in??

mylilprincesses
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:59 PM

thats an awesome idea! the only thing i got from the hospital after losing my son was an small teddy bear the wasnt sewed up all the way in the back!

blue-star31
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Such a sweet idea. I am so sorry you lost a little one. When I had my oldest son, he was born early and had to go straight into a level 3 NICU. The nurse brought me a blanket, hat, baby booties, jacket and hand covers for him that all matched. She told me there was a group of older ladies who would go out and purchase crochet items and would make these for all of the stillborns and all of the newborns who were born premature like my baby was. So they would give these out to each set of parents who were worried about their babies or had lost a baby. It was a beautiful thing. I kept that set for a long time, until I had a family member who had a tiny preemie and that is when I passed this set on. It does make a huge difference. It is a wonderful thing you are doing.

carterj1220
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Thank you all sooo much for the nice words!! It means a lot! It is a very difficult thing to have to lose a child that you so very much wanted in your life. I never go a day without thinking about him. I have always wanted to do something in his memory but could never come up with the PERFECT ifea..until now! I am soo excited to give these blankets to the hospitals to give to these parents. I know how much it would've meant to me if I would have recieved one!

Ana0587
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 2:34 AM
you are doing something great! I also lost a stillborn baby at 39 weeks this was on June 11,2010 when i found out and if was born on June 12, 2010 weighing 6lb 4oz and if was 19 1/2in if was my first baby boy after 2 girls. And he is the only boy on my side of my family including my daughters there are 8 girls so he was the first boy. His name is ALEXANDER JOSE. May you R.I.P My Lil Angel. And for you sorry for your loss. No parent deserves to go thru this. But i wish you lots of luck on what your doing. Oh and i got a box from the hospital with a matching blanket and shirt, pants, and a heart with a shell lots of pictures they took and his footprints and handprints. Really nice of

carterj1220
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 10:36 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)