Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I honestly don't know how much more I can handle.. Please tell me someone has encountered this too

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:22 AM
  • 76 Replies

Ok I took our 13m old to the dr on Fri, because Thursdays afternoon she started to run a fever. I chalked it up to teething because she has 3 teeth coming in.. One in the front and 2 (one on each side) in the back. Plus she was overly drooling.. So I just assumed fever was part of the teething. Well Thurs night she was up til 4am crying. By the morning time her fever had gotten so bad that I had to give her a cool bath and some more tylenol. While getting her dressed for the dr she started to choke on vomit.. Well I wouldn't even call it vomit..she was choking on spit. I literally had to do the infant cpr (were you hold them on your arm and lean them forward and pat upward on their back) to get it out so she could breathe. By the time I get to the dr's office she is starting to have little red dots on the back of her legs. Dr sends us to er. While in er red dots and little sores around her mouth start showing up.. By the time we get in the back she is so super tired (which was to be assumed being up crying all night).

Dr looks her over, notices all the dots and checks in her mouth. Red dots in her mouth and on her tongue. He orders TONS of test. They did X rays, 2 rounds of blood work, and put a cathader in her. After 6 grueling hrs of test and they come in and tell me they don't know what is wrong. Her Blood looks good, her pee looks good, x rays look great. Send me home with Benadryl and an antibiotic (just in case).  It is now Saturday.. She doesn't want to eat because her mouth hurts, she cries when you try to feed her. I have been offering small soft foods all day in hopes to keep her eating. I am giving ice chips and milk in hopes to keep her hydrated. The red dots have turned to open sores (look like ulcers) in her mouth.. And for the past 2 nights she has started choking on the over salvia in her mouth.. I am high risk pregnant and running on no sleep because I sit up all day and night with her to make sure she doesn't choke to death in her sleep. She is overly exhausted but can't sleep.. The dr's and the hospital seem to think it's nothing.. Tell me have any of you heard anything like this before? What can she have that won't show up on blood work, pee , or x rays? Any suggestions would be appreciated.. My mom thinks maybe an allergy but she hasn't been exposed to ANYTHING new that she hasn't/doesn't eat/use everyday... Please any advice would be appreciated..The only thing that has improved is her fever is gone..

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brownhairday1
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:23 AM

BUMP!

thepowerof3
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:25 AM

BUMP!

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM

dont know...but dont give up!!

i took my DD to the ER a few times when she was 5 months due to vomiting, IMO legarthic, and horrible diarrhea(she was breastfed, but this was slimy stuff)

i FINALLY forced them to do a culture of her stool...and yep! salmonella!

this is prob NOT what your DD has, but the story was to illustrate that sometimes docs dont really have your childs best interest at heart...if you think it could be ANYTHING..go and MAKE them test for it

shellie830
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:29 AM

OMG! My SIL has twins that got a herpes virus from a shopping cart, they both got sores in their mouths and the boy's started bleeding you should get her checked for that. Also try alternating tylenol and mortin or advil every 3 hours.. Good luck I hope it's not what they had!

comommy00
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:29 AM
The sores in the mouth sound similar to my sons when his tonsils would flare up get super infected and the random fever with no other symptoms. It took our doctor months to finally figure that the sores and fever were caused by his tonsils being swollen and infected. We had them taken out and he hasn't any signs of either sense then. I'd suggest having them check her tonsils or even you and see how big they are and if that might be the cause. hope she starts feeling better soon and you figure out what the cause is. Best of luck and hugs
Faeriebrat
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Quoting comptonkids:

dont know...but dont give up!!

i took my DD to the ER a few times when she was 5 months due to vomiting, IMO legarthic, and horrible diarrhea(she was breastfed, but this was slimy stuff)

i FINALLY forced them to do a culture of her stool...and yep! salmonella!

this is prob NOT what your DD has, but the story was to illustrate that sometimes docs dont really have your childs best interest at heart...if you think it could be ANYTHING..go and MAKE them test for it

I have no clue on what it could possibly be.. She isn't really pooping because she isn't really eating.. I am debating going and buying formula just so I know she is getting what she needs for the day.. I mean I hate to take a step back when we just got her off formula about a month ago but I am scared her blood sugar is going to drop from lack of food.. All the benadryl does is make her fall over.. It's not helping the dots at all.. The antibiotic (I believe was just to get me out) is a joke..What is it suppose to "cure" if they say there is no infection

jays4eternity
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Could she have chicken pox? I don't know if that would show up in blood work or not. The second time i had chicken pox i had them from head to toe, in my ears, nose and mouth. If it wasn't so late then i would call my mom and ask her what the one's in mouth looked like.

abstractmommy
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Foot and mouth disease?

lizmeek
Do you have a children's hospital close by and if so take her there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose

BUMP! IDK but I hope the next mom does.

Click above to join Motivate to Get in Shape!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)