Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What will happen to your kids after you die?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:47 AM
  • 22 Replies

I'm kind of a paranoid mom, and since I got pregnant for the first time, I have always wondered what would become of my children if my husband and I were to die at the same time (i.e. car crash or something). After thinking about this off and on for over two years now, I think I have come to the decision to ask my best friend to care for them, despite the fact she's never wanted kids of her own. I've known her very well for 7 years, and I believe that she would make an excellent mother. I'm simply wondering how many other mothers have truly thought about this and if anyone else has come to a decision, and how that decision was made.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heybooboo
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Both DH and I come from very healthy caring families. Our kids would basically move in with my parents, and everyone would just group around them and help out.  We are both fortunate enough that we have healthy family members on each side that would pitch in and help raise them for us.

kylenkodysmom
by Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:54 AM
Our boys would go to DH's sister and her husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cara124
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:55 AM

i have talk to and made plans/arrangements to have my children live with my brother and his wife and my parents will help out where they can.....and i have had a judge sign off on it because i am divorced and have full cusody of my children and do not want ex getting them if  i die because he is an abusive drunk....

faren128
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:58 AM
This is a subject that i can not handle. I try to talk about it with my fiancee but just thinking about it scares me and makes me sad for rest of the day. But i do know that my parents would take them in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:01 AM
After much consideration I decided (with her agreeing) that she would take Bella and my parents would help her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:01 AM
Sorry my sister would take Bella

Quoting mamakenzi:

After much consideration I decided (with her agreeing) that she would take Bella and my parents would help her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenniL05
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:03 AM

My husband's cousin and his wife are our son's Godparents. They only have one child and are well enough off financially that they'd make it OK. They also get along with my family so I know they'd never keep Max from my family and they would all get along well.

graciepaige
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:08 AM
I would probably give her to my middle sister. My oldest sister is wanting the single life now so she's a no go. My parents are up there in age as it is and they wouldn't be able to handle my graysen. I would not be able to give her dad custody (I couldnt do that to her, as I'm concerned he's not her dad just a sperm donar) so my best bet would be my older sister. She's married, financialy stable, and just adores gracie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shoegirl01
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:10 AM

My husband's youngest sister because she has children around our child's age.  And is a wonderful mother.  <3.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I have seriously thought about it. If I were to die before DD is 18 she would obviously live with her father and step-mom. And vice versa if he dies. If we BOTH die before she reaches 18 she will live with her step-mom. And she will have full custody of her. Hopefully she would still want to visit my DH who she loves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)