Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Strange smell coming from air vents...hopefully some of you are married to a HVAC

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:03 AM
  • 7 Replies

I really need some advice. We have started to notice a pretty strange smell coming from the air conditioner. I thought it was related to once I turn off the air conditioner about 30 minutes later this smell comes through the vents as we continually run the central house fan and it is so strong that it bothers me. There is no smell in the utilities room where there is the air conditioner, furnace, air purifyer, and hot water heater are. No smell whats so ever. Yet this smell is so strange that I can't describe it. Yet it comes through every vent from basement to the second floor.  So I thought it had to do with when the air conditioner turns off and now it started this evening when the ac was still running. The smell comes for about 45 minutes and then goes away until the next evening.  Yet tonight we had two incidences. I have no idea who to call. What it is. Any advice I would really appreciate. I don't want to spend money on calling the wrong people. 

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lilmomma_1205
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Can you try to describe the smell?? It's hard to tell since you can't really pen-point a smell.
My hubby is a hvac & he said that it could be anything from either your filters needing to be changed.... to mold build up, electrical burning, or something dead.

2callmemom09
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:14 AM
Bump, my SO works in hvac and I am gonna ask him once he gets home from the store!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairymom2316
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM

It could be mold or a dead animal even, not sure?

luvjulie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:46 PM

It doesn't smell like something buring. It doesn't smell like natural gas...had a leak in my other home and this is not the smell. We have had a terrible time with mold from a water leak in the roof and had a huge chunk of our house restructured from it and this does not smell musky or moldy. The option of something dead which is hard to describe death smell sometimes could be a possibilty. But my husband thinks it is more of a chemical smell.  If I went with a chemical smell...my gut tells me anti freeze?????? 

smh89
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:49 PM

hmmm that is SO wierd...

nowaygourmet
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM
maybe ur unit is leaking n2 the floor or vents....idk

Quoting luvjulie:

It doesn't smell like something buring. It doesn't smell like natural gas...had a leak in my other home and this is not the smell. We have had a terrible time with mold from a water leak in the roof and had a huge chunk of our house restructured from it and this does not smell musky or moldy. The option of something dead which is hard to describe death smell sometimes could be a possibilty. But my husband thinks it is more of a chemical smell.  If I went with a chemical smell...my gut tells me anti freeze?????? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shoegirl01
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

My parents kept having a smell come from their water heater area.  When they opened the closet they had this rank horrible smell.  They called and called and everyone kept saying the water heater was fine.  Then, finally after months someone thought to look UNDER the house.  The garbage disposal pipe area had a break in it and it had been putting food and stuff UNDER the house for about a YEAR.  It was a disaster to clean up.  Same thing, the smell would come and go and come and go then it got to be really bad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)