Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My tiny peanut does not like to eat!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:58 AM
  • 6 Replies

So Molly seems to have little appetite in general and only really eats one meal a day.  She has been on the cusp of being underweight.  And now she was just VERY sick for a week with the nora virus.  She lost 2 lbs being sick and now weighs 17 lbs at almost 14 months old.  She has a follow up this week and I know now they will be bugging me about her weight now.

So my question is does anyone elses's 1 yr old eat this little.  And anyone have healthy ideas for bumping up her weight?

Thanks!

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Aw poor little one.  The doctor won't bug you that she has lost some weight when she was very ill. If they tell you to feed her food that will put the weight on, then I'd say try ice cream,  soups made with whole milk, cheese,  breads, meats that she likes, vegetables with sauces. Ask them for suggestions.

momof2little1s
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Thanks! I am gonna ask the doc, but I am pretty sure his advice will be pediasure which I do not want to do.

Quoting Bmat:

Aw poor little one.  The doctor won't bug you that she has lost some weight when she was very ill. If they tell you to feed her food that will put the weight on, then I'd say try ice cream,  soups made with whole milk, cheese,  breads, meats that she likes, vegetables with sauces. Ask them for suggestions.

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 5 yrs, Lilly 3 yrs, Molly born 6/19/09 and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor,  I am a attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-) That is me in a nutshell!

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Ugh, doctors and weight! It took me five pediatricians to find one that didn't want my kids to be "average".

Don't listen to the doctor, Weight isn't everything, as long as she's happy, healthy, and meeting milestones. Kids come in all sizes, and some are just smaller.

Just fill her up as much as you can with healthy, wholesome, non-processed foods. Fruits & veggies, lean meats, whole grains, and at her age, full fat dairy. She'll be fine. And DON'T do pediasure. It's nothing but a bunch of sugary crap. You'll be better off with a good diet, and if you feel the need, a multivitamin.

If she's still breastfeeding though, I especially wouldn't worry. The more breast milk she gets, the leaner she'll be because it's made just the way she needs it. She'll absorb more of it, and have less waste, which also means less stored fat.   

Mom                  Dad              Chazz (8y)         Rocco (4y)         Joey (22m) 

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who still loves her tattoos, piercings and hair dye

BaileynMe
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM

My DD is a light eater. At her 2 year checkup she only weight 21 lbs, and just BARELY at that. She's not a big eater and she's VERY picky. 

madcrazymom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:44 AM
My Ds who is 2 could eat me out of house and home!! And he only weighs 20.7lbs so Idk what your fussing over. 17lbs is good for a 14 month old. Really people come on, now if your child was 2 and was 14 lbs thats a problem. But no don't force her to eat. She's fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dustinsmommy74
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:45 AM

My 6 year old is tiny and a very picky eater. He eats no veggies and very little fruits. I have him drinking the V-8 Fusions and splashes to supplement and taking daily vitamins. Good luck hun. So children are just small and they tend to stay that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)