Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help with stinky towels!!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:16 AM
  • 21 Replies

I can't get my towels to NOT smell like mildew! It's not just my bath towels, but hand towels, wash/dish rags too! I wash them regularly, use color safe bleach to wash, but all to no avail!! Please help, I'm at my witts end! Oh, I've already tried buying new towels, and they started doing it right away too....argh!!

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heybooboo
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM

its your washing machine.

You can clean the machine by running a few cycles empty.  With a lot of bleach in the first cycle.  Then a lot of vinegar in the second cycle.  Then I tend to run one or two more cycles with just plain water.  

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM

thow a cup of white vinegar into the wash.Make sure as soon as the washer stops you dry the towels. Make sure your dryer is drying them enough.

Also you might try running your wash on Hot water with cup of vinegar when done leave the top/ or side door Open.

JenniL05
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Try putting vinegar in with the wash...

Mom2jngnc
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I have the problem with my front loader. It is in a spot where I can't leave the door open. Run hot water and bleach..... then run hot water and vinegar....

I would wash teh towels with vinegar a few times to get any residual smells out.

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex 
"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."
"I have one designer thing in my house, and it's a dog."

dustinsmommy74
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:22 AM

I've never heard of this but think I'll try it on my washer. My towels don't stink but this seems to be a good way of cleaning the washer out.

nikki0522
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Quoting heybooboo:

You can clean the machine by running a few cycles empty.  With a lot of bleach in the first cycle.  Then a lot of vinegar in the second cycle.  Then I tend to run one or two more cycles with just plain water.  

I agree, it's your machine. Add a cup of white vinegar to all of your wash loads, it won't make your clothes smell like vinegar. After you remove the laundry from the machine, leave it open so that it dries out. I find that if I close the machine before letting it dry out, I get that mildew smell too.

phillipsa80
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I'll try these things, thanks ladies! Just a few questions though, how is it that my clothes don't stink if it's my washer? Also I have a front loader (which I never close the door on) so do I add the vinegar in the detergent compartment?

DanielleK21
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Quoting heybooboo:

Yes this. Also when your washing machine is empty leave the lid up so it can dry out.

Katt709
by Katharine on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM
Vinegar works!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileynMe
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Make sure you're putting them in the dryer immediately and not letting them sit in the washer. If you're already doing that, your machine probably has mildew growing in it. Try running a load with no clothes and adding some Tang. My parent's repairman told me to do this because the acid in the Tang cleans out anything that's in there and leaves it smelling pleasant. You could also try vinegar. When you're not using the washing machine, make sure to leave the lid up so it dries out completely. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)