Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever had a D&C? Advice Appreciated.

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:27 PM
  • 21 Replies

I am scheduled to have a D&C (Dilation and Curettage) with hysteroscopy in about a week and a half.

My question I would like advice on is about the anesthesia. I've research and read that you can have general or local. I would prefer not to have gneral, but am wondering if anyone who has experienced this has just had local, or none at all?

I would also like to know what the recovery was like for you, as I have two kids to take care of. Thank you so much!! Any other information would be appreciated as well.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
julz0307
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:28 PM

i had one and i was put to sleep. it didn't take me long at all to recover

lovemyhoney1023
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Thank you. Recovered within 24 hours or less? What was your pain level after that?

dosthepost
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I had one with my miscarriage... I had general, and it was overwith and I was awake within 20 minutes, with no lasting side effects.

cherishkids
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM

First i want to say im sorry to hear the bad news. I had one a few years ago. They put me to sleep they told me that it depends on how far u were what kind they would give u. I was almost 9 weeks. I was sore and dont wanna sound gross but the first time i peed after it hurt so bad. Then it was fine. U might  be sore for a few days but for me it was more emotional. I felt so empty when i woke up and just cried. THe nurse that sat the whole time till i woke up was awsome she talked to me and told me how everything was.

dosthepost
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:38 PM
I also had almost no pain, until I passed the twin a couple of days later (since I was so early it was missed on the ultrasound, and so they missed it during the D&C). I wasn't particularly comfortable, and i could feel where they scraped my uterus, but they gave me loratabs for if I did feel anything and I didn't take any of them.
loves2bamomof2
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I had a hysterectomy 13 years ago and was put completely out.  But I had major issues as they were also removing tons of endometroiss tumors, one of which was wrapped around my lg intestine that weighed over 10lbs. Pain wise I did great, emotionally and concerned wise I was a nervous wreck

Sorry to hear of you upcoming surgery and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

KeatonsMama404
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I had a D&C about 4 years ago I was totally put under. Didnt have any issues at all, was back to normal within no time. Still bled for awhile though.

vwd_johnson
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:56 PM
I had a D&C November 23rd because I lost my baby.. I was awake 30 minutes after the surgery & after a day I felt better.. But I bled for awhile.. But idk if its the same with miscarriage as it is yours ! Good Luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AudrasMommy
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I was put completely under and it took less than 15 minutes.  I had to be in recovery for an hour and until I passed urine and then went home and had to rest the rest of the day and was up and moving and went to work the next day.

mylilgooberpea
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM

im gonna bump this sorry mine all of my losses came out on thier own. i would actually do a DandC next time around if it happens. i have been diagnosed with low pro, if im not actively trying for a baby and prepared i loose the baby.  because natural is just like labor not as big but it hurts. you get contractions until everything comes out. at least with a D and C you get to be out. all of mine came out in the toilet where i could see them except the last one no baby formed. i do not want that to happen again. lots of hugs headed your way no one should have to go through this. i will tell you you will bleed for about a week or 2 its just a part of  the flushing D and C or not,  it your body's way of healing and returning to normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)