Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not racist, but....

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM
  • 10 Replies

I hate when people say that.  If you are getting ready to make a rude generalization based on someone race then what does that make you?

What irks you that people say?

I am at work bored out of my mind....lol.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AES514
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM
Hehe we quote one of the retired guys at work constantly "Not to be this way, BUT".
I HATE when people say anyways. Its ANYWAY!!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dosthepost
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Actually that doesn't make someone racist... it's more likely that they're simply ignorant. What irks me is the word 'racist' used as though if you talk about someone who isn't the same race as you in any kind of negative light, you're automatically racist. A racist is 

• a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

Like I said, someone making a generalization (and I gotta say, they're generalizations for a reason... if you don't want to be stereotyped don't BE a stereotype) then they're probably ignorant... not racist.

beeber
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM

i too ka race and racism class last quarter and realized WOW does that make me racist.  for instance, i am a mexican american, i used to say i am not racist, but i cant stand hwen some mexican men thin kthey are the s^*& and wistle at every female.  when i heard it was racist, i said GASP!!!!!! i did find it anoying before and now annoyed myself.  i make sureo f it nowthat it is not sometihng i say anymore

guzman314
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

When I say I'm not racist, I truly mean it, some of my best friends have been black.  When I lived in SC, I went to walmart to get my son some footed pajamas and there were two black women taking up the entire ilse where I needed to be.  I said "excuse me", they didn't move, I said "excuse me" louder incase they didn't hear me the first time, they didnt move.  I told them excuse me on more time and they still acted like they didn't hear me so my ex said " MOVE BITCH".  They heard that and gave us looks.  What are you supposed to do when you try to be polite and you get nothing.  I'm not racist but stuff like that bothers me.  I have found that it is more like that in the south than in the midwest though.

kngarber
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Give me an example or ignorant vs racist, because to me they are the same in this case.  To say you don't want to live somewhere because it is predominantly occupied with another race and they are XYZ.  Ignorant or Racist?

Quoting dosthepost:

Actually that doesn't make someone racist... it's more likely that they're simply ignorant. What irks me is the word 'racist' used as though if you talk about someone who isn't the same race as you in any kind of negative light, you're automatically racist. A racist is 

Like I said, someone making a generalization (and I gotta say, they're generalizations for a reason... if you don't want to be stereotyped don't BE a stereotype) then they're probably ignorant... not racist.

dosthepost
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Racist.

In that case someone believes that they're above living with people of that race.

But if the statement were, "If we live there there will be drug dealers everywhere", that would be an ignorant statement... that person has obviously only been exposed to people who act like that when it comes to that race (and I've met people who have truly never met a black person who didn't deal drugs...). I don't like ignorance any more than racism, but one is a product of what we have been exposed to and misunderstanding, and one is just hatred and a superiority complex.

Quoting kngarber:

Give me an example or ignorant vs racist, because to me they are the same in this case.  To say you don't want to live somewhere because it is predominantly occupied with another race and they are XYZ.  Ignorant or Racist?

Quoting dosthepost:

Bieg9093
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I hate it when people say "Why don't you just..." 

I work with someone who has this answer for any problem.  "Why don't you just...?"  If it was so simple, I wouldn't be taking the time to describe the problem to my boss and coworkers.  I'd already have just.

Tiger420
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM
LOL I tell my youngest brother "Why don't you just shut the hell up!" he's constantly cussing at my two year old and telling me what a bitch I am. Or I will be having a conversation with someone and he's not a part of it in anyway and he has to butt in and state his opinion on how he thinks everything I enjoy (Twilight for example) is stupid. Makes me so mad.

Quoting Bieg9093:

I hate it when people say "Why don't you just..." 

I work with someone who has this answer for any problem.  "Why don't you just...?"  If it was so simple, I wouldn't be taking the time to describe the problem to my boss and coworkers.  I'd already have just.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilgooberpea
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

the word but after a statement always cancels out what they just said. they are just saying that to cover their butts! LOL im actually trying not to say but after a statement like that because usually its the truth. its just so hard since it was tough thats how you do it.

im not going to be rude but i am anyway just hoping that you wont see it that way.

no i try and say i dont mean to be rude i just dont know how to say it without it sounding that way. takes longer and usually people are ok with it.

LOL my friends actually make fun of me they say oh Lizzie you are so innocent i usually would be mad if someone said something like that but you have no idea what you just said. you make it cute. i just take it as i made them laugh i was sheltered as a child and leave it at that. i try and change it just makes them giggle even harder. its nice to have friends that accept me for me! LOL God knows i dont have a way with words!

RubysMommy
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM
"having said that..." that's a horrible statement, it's like I'm gonna just contradict myself and I know it. By the way pp I say anyways lol I didn't know it was anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)