Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DID OR HAS ANYONE TRIED USING CASTOR OIL TO INDUCE LABOR?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM
  • 37 Replies

HI EVERYONE, I AM 39 WEEKS PREGNANT WITH MY 3RD CHILD, I HAVE BEEN 2-3 CM DILATED FOR ABOUT A WEEK, I AM EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE AND MY OB TOLD ME THAT I COULD TRY CASTOR OIL.  SHE SAID IT WOULD PROBABLY MAKE ME SICK AND THAT IT WOULD IRRITATE MY UTERUS TO START CONTRACTING. MY QUESTION IS DID THIS WORK FOR ANYONE HERE, I DON'T WANT TO MAKE MYSELF SICK FOR NOTHING BUT I AM SO UNCOMFORTABLE.  PLEASE HELP!

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EricsMommy427
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:42 PM

BUMP!

KerryK
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM
My daughter did, it made her throw up and otherwise empty herself out, but no labor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wentworth99

BUMP!

trist22

Don't use castor oil.. there is no real proof that it brings labor on. What it does bring on is cramps, diarrea and dehydration which is not safe for baby or you!  I am amazed that with todays knowledge an OB would suggest Castor oil! You know that dr.s can be a day or a few days off on your exact due date.. You might think you are 39 weeks but you could be a day or two shy... I know your uncomfortable ( with my last I went to 41 weeks).. hang in there it is almost over.. try nipple stimulation, walking and sexual intercourse!

cadlecr4
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I wouldnt use it I would try some more natural remedies like nipple stimulation  or having sex. Go take a walk, walking can help bring on labor.

SnoBuny
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:50 PM

too many known risks or possibilities of complications without any proof that it works.

baby will come when they are ready....we have all been there....it will be over before you know it!

mylilgooberpea
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM

ive always heard from friends that tried it say that it only gave me the runs or vomiting and made things even more uncomfortable. LOL just watch a really funny movie thats how i went into labor. spent the day at the mall (got lots of wha tthe heck are you doing here girl) and it was midnight and we just got done watching "New in Town" i giggled and laughed so hard i started having braxton hicks contractions (i had them since 20weeks) and DS moved and broke his water the rest is history. i was 39weeks and 6 days DS was born 14 hours later.

Ton-of-Love
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Yep!  I didn't drink it though because that can be very dangerous for your baby.  I put it on a washcloth and put the washcloth on my stomach....however, what we found out actually puts u in labor (we found out by accident lol) is eating cilantro!  Good luck! :)

seth.ethan225
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I did it, had runs, threw up, had him that night. It tastes horrible, that is how the induce in other countries safer then having the dr. induce, it is worth a shot, especially if you have an o.k. good luck...

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

THIS!!!!

Quoting trist22:

Don't use castor oil.. there is no real proof that it brings labor on. What it does bring on is cramps, diarrea and dehydration which is not safe for baby or you!  I am amazed that with todays knowledge an OB would suggest Castor oil! You know that dr.s can be a day or a few days off on your exact due date.. You might think you are 39 weeks but you could be a day or two shy... I know your uncomfortable ( with my last I went to 41 weeks).. hang in there it is almost over.. try nipple stimulation, walking and sexual intercourse!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)