Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

..hoarding..

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM
  • 7 Replies

what do you ussually do with your old stuff?why does it's so hard to throw some things that i know that has a sentimental value in me...pls advice..

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
V.Dubbya
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM
I can't. I do the same thing to an extent. I have all my girls baby clothes and the youngest is 19mths. So here's a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofboys21
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM

you don't have to throw it away unless it is in poor condition, donating it means it will help others which is more important than it just laying around taking up space, holding on to a few things is ok though

Rhiannon1988
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM

i don't like clutter. it's really that simple.. once something is old enough i will just throw it away or give it to a local thrift store, that way it goes to people who need it more than i do and a business trying to help the low income families get some doe..

or you could have a yardsale.. i did that this past weekend.. i understand the sentimental value thing but, you gotta try and keep your emotions on THINGS to a minimum.. focus more on pictures, and the future to come.

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM

My stuff, I throw a bunch out every so often.. But things from when my boys were babies is harder.. I still have all of their baby clothes & plan on keeping them for my grandchildren!

Nykyria
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I give to the christian need center. So I know someone who really needs it will use it well. I have my favorite outfit from when my DD was little, but just one. 

My MIL gave me clothes from when my SIL was little, not a good idea to save clothes for so long, it was so outdated I did not use any of it at all, I gave it away and never told her. 

I guess I don't have an issue with "things" I just give to those that will use it. Good luck with your stuff.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Donating or selling sentimental things don't bother me bc you just have to work on changing HOW you think about them.

No matter how sentimental it is, it is still just an object, the special memory or the loved one is not contained within the object if you think of it, even if you get rid of the object it is not a betrayal to that memory or person and your subconscious mind RETAINS your memories like treasures inside your head and heart regardless of whether you own that object or not. 

ALso if it really really bothers you, take a photo of it and tuck it away in a photo album.

Then HELP another person by donating it to charity or sell it in a yard sale.

It is SUCH a wonderful liberating feeling to live in an uncluttered environment.

Even if the items are connected to a loved one who passed away, they would NOT want someone they love to feel controlled by an object they gave them or left in inheritance. They are with you in memory and spirit no matter what and will NOT feel badly if you get rid of the item, they KNOW what is important now more than ever.

momre
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM

try the fire thing....if there's a fire, would u grab it?  is it important enough to save? 

and/or if u dont want it around, but dont wanna get rid of it, do what i did:  storage.  i hav a small 2 bedrm condo, but a ton of stuff and my husband thinks its all useless and dumb and wants me to get rid of it, but i cant.  i bought a bunch of large storage bins and my dad is nice enough to let me keep them in their garage.  im getting to the point of wanting to know how much those storage places are after the 1st month's only a $1, but afraid it'll be insanely expensive.  ur not the only 1 that cant throw stuff away. i hav movie tickets, bracelets, papers, notes, nik-naks, maternity clothes, and all of my son's clothes.  we dont know if we will hav more children at this point (omar has a genetic problem) but i cant part w/ his clothes.  even if i dont use them for my own children, i hav 4 brothers and lots of cousins to give them to eventually.

i agree w/ donating things, but as much money as i spent on all of omar's things, I want to enjoy them as much as i can, even if they're gonna be on nephews instead of other sons.  besides, it'll save my brothers a lot of money to get so many clothes instead of having to start from scratch.

just seek professional help if u start to hav things in common w/ the ppl on tlc's "hoarders"wink mini

~re

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)