Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

blood pressure... need help now (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM
  • 16 Replies

my dad was sitting in his chair today, and collapsed to the floor his blood pressure was super low and is normally really high.

he is refusing medical attention, right now is slowly going up and then dropping again...

im trying to figure out how low is to low? right now its 90/50 which i know is low but how much lower can it get before hes in real trouble?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommawombat
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:47 PM

its too low. He could be dehydrated. Give him so water to rise it. and he needs to be seen at the ER right away.

afrw2007
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:50 PM

hes in another state... my stepmom and stepbrother are with him.

she said she was calling for an ambulance and he said no he wont go and if he refuses then thats $100 they will charge for nothing, they have no insurance. his is very very limited he gets assistance because he has a lot of medical problems.

hes on medication for high bloodpressure, arthritus, pain, and what not he has like over 10 types of pills he has to take a day.

as far as i know he had drinks today, i know one of his pills is for patasium (sp)

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM

That's much too low and he needs to go to the ER right away. Is it possible for you to talk to him on the phone and tell him that you'd really like for him to go and be seen? Maybe you could be the one to convince him of the urgency of the situation?

mommawombat
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Your mom needs to get him to the er. They ( hospitals) will work with them on the money part. Some have money set a side to pay bills.

sarahbearamommy
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM

i responded in the other group.. but now that you say he takes medications for potassium, thats probably what is causing it. this is deadly if his potassium levels do not rise.

it could also be signs of heart failure/attacks, but the potassium thing is a definite issue here.

Quoting afrw2007:

hes in another state... my stepmom and stepbrother are with him.

she said she was calling for an ambulance and he said no he wont go and if he refuses then thats $100 they will charge for nothing, they have no insurance. his is very very limited he gets assistance because he has a lot of medical problems.

hes on medication for high bloodpressure, arthritus, pain, and what not he has like over 10 types of pills he has to take a day.

as far as i know he had drinks today, i know one of his pills is for patasium (sp)

pregnancy

AES514
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM
It depends on his norm. People who are wheelchair bound/ bed bound or smaller tend to have a lower blood pressure then others.

If he's acting different or is pale/cool, his doctor needs to be contacted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AES514
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM
Just re read it all the way. Is mentally incapacitated at all? If not, he's a grown man who can make his own decisions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMom0306
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Blood pressure is different for everyone.  One person normal could be 90/50, whereas another of the same physical attritbutes could be 120/80.  You said he already has high blood pressure, so I'm assuming he runs on the higher normals or higher.  Check for anything that could be causing his body stress, no a/c, work, family, anything....blood pressure tends to go up when a body is stressed, but SOME do go down and it all depends on the situation.

With him being on medicine for potassium and his blood pressure still dropping that is a sign that his potassium is to low, and I'm not trying to be scary but low potassium can be fatal.  He needs to be checked out.  If he has no power of attorney for medical or anything the only real thing you can do is try and convience him to go.  With no other mental incapacities you can't force him, but that doesn't mean you can't nag the hell out of him till he goes. 

Best of luck!

afrw2007
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM

his normal is 140/90 or higher at least thats what my stepmom said

how do you check for the patasium?

he is not bound to a wheel chair, he is 6'2 and like 250lbs or so not exactly sure.

i have his ONLY grandchild and he will do anything for him however, my stepmom said he was sorta sleeping and wouldnt let me talk to him. she made it clear not to call his phone or text until hes feeling better.

she said when he calapsed he was grey, his color is good now.

unspecified42
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Do you know his baseline blood pressure?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)