Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:32 PM
  • 4 Replies

How old was your kid when you started? When you ended? What was the biggest hurdle, and how did you solve that problem? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:43 PM

She was 2 years,2 months when we started,finished(meaning she could do #'s 1 and 2 in the potty,tell me she needed to go and was dry through the night)when she was 2 years,7 months.The biggest hurdle was getting her motivated to use the potty when she was clearly showing signs that she needed to go.I'd say(as she was doing the pee pee dance)"do you need to go potty?" her:NO.Then pee runs down her leg 2 seconds later.So i didn't ask her anymore after that.When she showed signs of needing to go,I'd pick up a book and say "hey! come sit on the potty and I'll tell you this story.Then after you go,we can go for a walk.."all the while I'm nudging her along towards the bathroom :) It worked 9 times out of 10.

in love                           blowing bubbles

Nathan & Tracey 06.12.99             Grace 10.10.03

Kenre
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM

We started potty training Red when we first started visitations when he was a week from turning 4 years old. He was finally potty trained fully at a month after turning 5 years old. The biggest hurdle was his birthmom putting him back into diapers and refusing to potty train him with us.

We are currently potty training Monkey. It's been an off and on thing since he was 17 months. Medical issues and other turbulance just kept getting in the way. He is now two months away from turning 3 and he is at the point where he will take off his own night time diaper to use the toilet. He isn't ready for night training yet, but he is getting the hang of the daytime thing.

Mommy2LnJ
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM

My twins were 3. I tried around 2 1/2 with one, but decided he wasn't ready. Then one day, one of them asked me to change his diaper, then changed his mind and said he wanted underwear on instead. I just made him go to the potty every so often and after a week, he didn't need to be reminded and was going on his own, poop and everything. He only had 2 poop accidents the first day. It's been a few months now and he has been accident free since the first week.

His brother was a little different. He didn't want to try at first. He kept telling me he wears diapers. Then a few weeks into the first one doing it, he said he wanted big boy underwear. He was a little more difficult and had more frequent accidents and the pooping part was tougher with him. It took him about a month or so to fully get it down, but it's been a while since he has had any accidents.

They aren't quite trained for over night. They wear pull ups, but lately they have been waking up dry and one even wakes up occasionally in the middle of the night to go pee.

The toughest part was with the second one. He would stand there, knowing he should go to the potty, and have an accident. He would poop in his pants then tell me. I think what helped him was he was grossed out by the poop in his underwear lol.

Their father wanted to do it at 2, but I said they weren't ready, even though they were showing almost all of the signs. I just wanted to wait until THEY said they wanted to. And it worked great! After the first month and a half, they stopped using the little potty and use the regular one. It's great!

**Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For They Are Fighting A Battle You Know Nothing About**

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:05 AM

I have four kids.

My twins were 3 and a half.

My son was about 2 and a half.

My daughter was almost 2.

Our biggest issue was my middle son--he was afraid to poop in the toilet, so he used a diaper until he was about 4.  We totally bribed him to finally get him to use the toilet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)