Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At wits end!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is 8 and nothing has changed.

He is usually a very sweet and loving child. Latley hes been mouthing off and last night he had 4 friends stay the night. Evan was hitting, pinching, and bossing them around. I dont know what is going on with my child, but I dont know what to do! He got a swat on the butt last night for the first time since he was 3! Today he started a fight and I told him one more time and hes grounded to his room for the rest of the day. I do sit and talk with him ALL the time. I only get I dont knows. When I ask whats bothering him, he doesnt say anything. I dont know how to get him to tell me. He knows he can tell me anything and talk to me about anything. When he does something wrong I always ask "and what was the right thing to do", and he tells me. So hes knows what behavior is expected, and whats the right and wrong things to do in situations, so I dont understand why he chooses the wrong way to handle things. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
marshakay
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM

is there a man in his life that could talk to him? dad, uncle, grampa, someone like that? that he respects?

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Has anything in particular changed in his life? 

I hope you can figure out what's up with him. 

In the meantime, pick your battles.  Be fair.  Be consistent. 

Good luck!

Lindsey624
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:19 AM

maybe having that many friends over for the night was too much for him?

Morita-Michelle
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 3:26 AM

BUMP!

EvanAnthonysmom
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM

He has his dad, but he doesnt handle things the right way. Hes more of a tyrant. My fianc'e  talks to him very good and he wont tell him either. but he also has my dad, but idk if hed talk to him either. I think im gonna get him into a child psychologist. I think he has issues contoling his anger.

gmccc1722
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I am big on natural cures.  I don't always jump to the conclusion of ADD or ADHD.  He may not have any control over what he is doing.   He might have food allergies.  Not only refined sugars, but children can have allergies to white flour, peanuts, etc. 

It could also just be a phase that he is going through or like another Mom said, that it may have been too many children for him to handle.  Maybe overstimulation of his senses. It sounds like you are doing all the right things in talking with him.

mrsmizcell
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 2:31 PM

My 8 year old is like that too. And my friends who have children the same age always say "OMG the attitude I get now!" so it's probably a phase. I just started time outs again with mine. and we revoke privledges. Kids can't be wonderful forever! as much as we want them to :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)