Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How to Stop Toddler Climbing

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 9:05 AM
  • 10 Replies

I think I know the answer but does anyone know how to stop a child from climbing everything?  My 16mo started climbing everything over the weekend.  To make it worse I watch my 10mo nephew all the time and he is learning how to climb watching my son.  I'm worried about being able to keep them both on the ground.

by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 9:22 AM

climbing is natural. they are learning about the world around them. i would give them activities that give them the same input in a safe way. set up courses for them to climb over and under things. do lots of park dates ect. work with the behavior to teach them the safe way to do thing.

savedbygrace316
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I didn't even think of doing a course!  I do take them to the park but we have been in a heat advisory for two weeks so I haven't been taking them out.  Thanks for the ideas.

Quoting hailnbray:

climbing is natural. they are learning about the world around them. i would give them activities that give them the same input in a safe way. set up courses for them to climb over and under things. do lots of park dates ect. work with the behavior to teach them the safe way to do thing.

wife.and.mommy
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 9:25 AM

barbed wire

savedbygrace316
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM

LOL yesterday I was so frustrated I might have tried that.

Quoting wife.and.mommy:

barbed wire

aetrom
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM

give them appropriate places to climb... it will help. besides that. try to clear out things that they can get injured on and this phase too shall pass.....

wife.and.mommy
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:33 AM

i've thought about it too... my DD is a year old and she has been climbing onto the couches for about 2 months... it drives me insane.. my DS who is 3 never did it as much as her, so it's driving me insane...

it's a phase and eventually will outgrow it (i hope)  ha ha

Quoting savedbygrace316:

Quoting wife.and.mommy:

barbed wire

savedbygrace316
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Oh the couch is where it starts.  We have a staircase which of course we keep blocked.  The problem is that about 2inchs of step hang out past the railing.  They hang on to the rail and climb the outside of the steps.  Then DS figured out how to get up our dinning room chairs.  I kept finding him on the table this last weekend.  I had to pull all the chairs away from the table which made the dinning room a maze to walk through.

Quoting wife.and.mommy:

i've thought about it too... my DD is a year old and she has been climbing onto the couches for about 2 months... it drives me insane.. my DS who is 3 never did it as much as her, so it's driving me insane...

it's a phase and eventually will outgrow it (i hope)  ha ha

Quoting savedbygrace316:

Quoting wife.and.mommy:

barbed wire

BaileynMe
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Shock collar? 

Just kidding. DD used to love to climb on top of the table. Now her favorite is the coffee table which drives me insane. Be firm, tell him no, and redirect him to something he CAN climb on. 

peeweedyer
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM
Okay, we moved everything and just accepted that he was going to climb. He's actually quite good at it and has never fallen or gotten hurt doing something i would consider risky. We just didn't take our eyes off him...he's still a climber....that's just who he is.
mamakenzi
by Kenzi on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Well you could break their arms and legs but that is typically frowned upon.  LOL 

Unfortunately some kids are just climbers, my DD is.  I can't tell you how many times we have been to the ER for her falling from climbing.  Heck a month before her 2nd birthday she fell, bit through her tongue, and had 5 stitches IN HER TONGUE!  Try to babyproof the best you can, discipline for it, and have a good first aid kit in a handy spot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)