Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Sleeptalking 5 year old

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM
  • 11 Replies

For the past about 2 weeks, my 5 yo DD awakes after about an hour of sound sleeping, sits up with eyes open, but clearly not awake and begins talking (mostly inaudible) and often ends up crying if I don't try to wake her.  I usually take her to the bathroom and it wakes her enough, but she also drools excessively and does not remember a thing when she wakes up.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there anything I should do about it or do you think she'll just outgrow it?  Usually it only happens once and she's back to sleep all night, but sometimes it happen up to 3 times in the same night.

ladybugin lovetoddler girl

by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DeziiRee
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 4:55 PM
Talk to her doc. My ds talks in his sleep but no crying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPeasMom418
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Bump

mamakenzi
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:23 PM

It's normal and watch for sleep walking.  My almost 3 year old does that, so does my nephew, and so did my brother.  They usually tell you not to wake them up because they can become violent if you startle them.  I just tell Bella to lay down and go back to sleep and she does.

acbbsmama
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 7:51 PM

My son does that, and he sleep walks. He started doing it when he was around 4, he's 9 now and still does it. My husband and his brothers did it too so I assume it's hereditary.

My son will get out of bed and roam around the house as if he's looking for something. His eyes are wide open but he is asleep. He will also jump out of bed crying or screaming for me. I just gently lead him into bed and he goes right back to "sleep". In the morning he has no knowledge that anything had happened.

Bieg9093
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Yep, it's my understanding that it runs in families too.  And if they talk in their sleep, they may likely walk in their sleep.  My boy doesn't do either very often, but the most recent one was funny.  I heard him get up and go into the bathroom.  Normal, right?  But then he turned on the shower.  By the time I got up to see what was going on, he had climbed back in bed and was snoozing normally.  It's good that I'm a light sleeper...the shower could have run all night with the curtain open.

If he's on any meds, see if you can stop them and see if the talking stops.  I know a kid on concerta who has serious sleep disturbances and I know another kid who had to stop liquid claratin because of night terrors.

Good Luck!

Nykyria
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Quoting acbbsmama:

My son does that, and he sleep walks. He started doing it when he was around 4, he's 9 now and still does it. My husband and his brothers did it too so I assume it's hereditary.

My son will get out of bed and roam around the house as if he's looking for something. His eyes are wide open but he is asleep. He will also jump out of bed crying or screaming for me. I just gently lead him into bed and he goes right back to "sleep". In the morning he has no knowledge that anything had happened.

Same for my DD, the eyes open and crying and screaming thing, she would go running for the stairs, we kept a bolted gate at the top just at night. Scared the crap out of me.  She never remembered in the morning. She is 11 now and still does the talking but only about once or twice a month.

tiernansmummy
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 8:55 PM

This is my sister! Normal, till she didnt come back from the bathroom so i walked in and found her back fast asleep on a pile of washing??

Quoting Bieg9093:

Yep, it's my understanding that it runs in families too.  And if they talk in their sleep, they may likely walk in their sleep.  My boy doesn't do either very often, but the most recent one was funny.  I heard him get up and go into the bathroom.  Normal, right?  But then he turned on the shower.  By the time I got up to see what was going on, he had climbed back in bed and was snoozing normally.  It's good that I'm a light sleeper...the shower could have run all night with the curtain open.

If he's on any meds, see if you can stop them and see if the talking stops.  I know a kid on concerta who has serious sleep disturbances and I know another kid who had to stop liquid claratin because of night terrors.

Good Luck!

lenoxclan
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM

My daughter sleep walks, talks in her sleep, and has night terrors! She has been doing all 3 since she was about 2yrs of age. I was the same way until I was about 13..She will be dead a sleep and walk into the living room, we will just lead her back to bed.. When she talks, she is normally YELLING at her brothers. It is hilarious! LOL

Her terrors are pretty scary. Scariest one, she was screaming and I ran into her room(we talk her down instead of wake her)and I was telling her it was o.k. She seemed fine so I turned to leave and she said but mommy what about the stranger. So I asked her, what stranger baby. And she points behind me and says, the one standing right there!! I still get chills thinking about it. I turned on her light, which woke her up, then she wanted to know why I was in her room. She has no recollection of any of them when they happen!

SweetPeasMom418
by on Aug. 5, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Thanks for everyone's stories.  I feel better now.  So far, no sleep walking, just talking but it does freak me out quite a bit.  I talked to my dad yesterday and he said I used to do that almost every night too.  She is not on any meds that would be causing this but thanks for the tip on that.  She does take Claritin in the spring for seasonal allergies but I don't remember her doing this then.  I'll just have to be vigilent in case of her starting sleep walking.  I never did, but both of my brothers did.  Thanks Ladies!

Bieg9093
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Quoting lenoxclan:

She seemed fine so I turned to leave and she said but mommy what about the stranger. So I asked her, what stranger baby. And she points behind me and says, the one standing right there!!

HOLY CRAP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN