Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you give your kids coffee? You know research is showing that children may benefit from coffee.

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:50 PM
  • 44 Replies

Do you give your kids coffee? My kids love coffee. They are 9 and 2. My nine year old loves iced coffee.

According to Vanderbilt's Dr. Tomas DePaulis, and contrary perhaps to parents who usually try to keep coffee from children, it may not be that harmful. As for adults, it seems to improve concentration and may help children do a little better on tests. General mental performance outside of short-term tasks is not necessarily improved, however.
There is also an interesting recent finding from Brazil, according to Dr. DePaulis in Coffee: The New Health Food? that suggests that children who drink coffee with milk "are less likely to have depression than other children."
There are negative effects of drinking coffee, most of which are associated with drinking large amounts of coffee. But for some people, and particularly for children, even 1 cup of coffee could have negative effects.
The National Institute of Health says "a child's caffeine consumption should be closely monitored. Although caffeine is safe to consume in moderation, it may negatively affect a child's nutrition. Caffeinated beverages may be replacing nutrient-dense foods such as milk. A child may also eat less because caffeine acts as an appetite suppressant. Caffeine can be completely restricted in a child's diet since there is no nutritional requirement for it. This may be necessary for a hyperactive child as caffeine is a stimulant."
Caffeine can also aggravate heart problems or nervous disorders, and children and parents might not even be aware of the risk. Since caffeine is a stimulant, it can also produce symptoms like jitters, irritability and hyperactivity.
Caffeine is also an addictive substance, and can cause restlessness in those who skip the daily coffee dose. In addition, there may be other short-term side effects, such as heartburn, headaches, stomach problems and a elevated blood pressure.
Whatever the truth of this claim, over the coming years, there is little doubt that much more research will be done and future generations of all ages may benefit from this analysis

For those who suffer from ADHD, they may find that drinking coffee could help them be calm and help them focus. There have been no known intense medical studies to confirm this, but parents who have hyperactive children have noticed the benefits on them. the effectiveness of coffee in calming ADHD children has become great discussion among Web sites and forums.
Children with ADHD are usually given drugs like Ritalin and Strattera that increases dopamine levels in the body. Higher levels tend to calm and help overactive minds focus. Coffee can also increase dopamine without the risks associated with [prescriptions. The only side effect coffee has may be a headache from withdrawal. but they should also avoid sweetening their coffee because sugar aggravates the symptoms of ADHD.
Dozens of studies have been done and more continue to seek the health benefits of coffee consumption. One study has shown how coffee has antioxidant benefits for those who drink more than two cups daily. One study shows benefits of increased short term memory. Finally, several have shown a decreased risk for diabetes and liver and breast cancer.

I am  SAHM, to two wonderful boys. I breastfed both.I ERF, I Co-sleep, I give candy and sweets. Cadillac driving, music listening, pot smoking, Home style cooking, married for 10 year to a hard working husband. I am an attention giving  coffee drinking submissive wife and mommy. I Yell, I spank, but give and get lots of hugs and kisses. I am a book reading, front porch sitting bud light drinking Nascar racing kind of women. I  hate Obama and love to shoot my 38 Smith and Wesson Caliber.

by on Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canthaveboys1
by on Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM

No I dont. my kids are hyper and awake enough. They dont need coffee.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:53 PM

On special occasions I might.

Rachel789
DD started at 14. She didn't like it prior to that and she didn't need it. Her and I are total addicts ;). I doubt I'd ever give a 2 yr old coffee though. 2 year olds have enough energy. 9 year olds usually have a ton of energy. But that's JMO. I'm not in Any way trying to bash ya :)
jackieibird

The older three drink it, they are pretty much adults, so I honestly don't care.

mamakarlie
by on Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM

no way, caffeine causes hyperness, and other known problems.  kids don't need caffeine.  we don't do soda, the sugar and dyes are bad also , no need

Hisservent

Nope. He doesn't need it. My son will be 4 in Nov. and there's no reason for him to drink it. He doesn't even drink soda either. Just water, diluted juice and milk.

All I have, all I am, all I ever will be, is because of you, Lord! I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife,  Christian, choir singin, recyclin, natural products usin, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, breastfeedin, CIO method usin, soy milk drinkin, organic milk givin, coffee drinkin, dog lovin, schedule stickin to, vitamin givin/takin, soy candle burnin, as Green as I can get,  WAHM of 2.

Tiger420
Nope. My 2 1/2 year old likes it but he isn't allowed to have it. My baby is only two months so he can't have it either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Uh...no. They don't need it. Why give it to them?? 

SinisterQueen
by on Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM

No! Of course, mine are 8 and 3, and they've got enough energy between the two of them to power Vegas... but me being a big caffeine addict (coffee and energy drinks) I definitely foresee it happening in the near future (for one of them at least :P)

mommyk5
by on Aug. 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM

no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN