Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insane Pregnancy Heartburn

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:09 AM
  • 6 Replies

Ok, I know the response will be 'talk to your doc' and I do... Just curious if anyone else has had the problems I'm having. I'm 25 weeks along, and I have a chronic condition called Barrett's Esophagus. (Ulcers in the esophagus). I can't take my normal Prilosec. I'm taking Zantac 150 twice a day and have to use about 15-20 tums in addition to that to 'help the heartburn'.

The problem, besides the pain, is that I often can't tell if I'm hungry or not. I get heartburn when I'm hungry or just by drinking water. So I have to keep really good track of how many calories and what I'm eating to make sure it's enough. I'm kinda depressed about the whole thing because heartburn makes you cranky and I want to be a fun happy mom for my 3yr old twins.

Anybody deal with something like this? Really need some encouragement right now.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommawombat
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Your baby is going to have a head full of hair. How about propping up to sleep? I would tell the doc. You have aways to go and it just gets worst when the baby gets bigger

pigpinsgurl313
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:17 AM

BUMP!

lind.shep
by Lindsey on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:21 AM
I'm only 8 weeks, and mine is already horrible. I have spent many nights sleeping in the recliner. Milk helps calm the acid a bit for me as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jdtink
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Oh do I remember that feeling and I felt the pain n discomfort even with water! I wish i had more for u, but try sleeping/laying on your side to sleep or when resting, eat often and small portions, elevate head of ur bed - not just pillows but the bed itself. Do u know good vs bad foods?

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Sorry, I had heartburn, but nothing so severe as that. It helped me to eat 6-7 small meals during the day, rather than 3 big ones, and avoid foods that may contribute to the acid build up, like juice, tomatoes, etc. Sleeping slightly elevated with a wedge pillow also helped. ((HUGS))

twinnivan_mami
by on Aug. 11, 2010 at 3:32 PM

WHEW! My doctor suggested Gaviscon liquid and my world is awesome again. No more tums needed. Just the zantac and the Gaviscon and it's gone. (for the most part) Just have to be really careful not to exceed dosage. Thanks y'all for the support!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)