Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another reading vent

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:05 AM
  • 4 Replies

Gah! I'm going to vent about these so called "reading" moms again. I was trying to discuss a deeper issue that happened in a particular series. It was a very graphic event but I feel like the main character handled the situation well because of the context of which the event took place. I related to her because I had been in her same situation once and I wanted to see how other people took that piece of the literature and their understanding of it.

Instead, I immediately get slammed and everyone was like, "Oh you aren't taking this situation in the novel the right way or serious enough and we don't wanna talk about it because it's too graphic and touchy."

What the hell are you doing reading it then???? If you cannot discuss with other people their opinions and feelings of the novel that you are reading the novel is too graphic for you and you need to find some literature that is toned down considerably.

~sigh~ Why do I even try?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Cheribomb
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:08 AM

what book are you talking about?

shoegirl01
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:11 AM

As an avid reader I can tell you with absolute certainty that you and your group take your books far too seriously.

;)

Celtic_Dragon
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:26 AM

It's not really important. I can say there are a LOT more graphic novels out there. I think this particular one is mild compared to some other stuff I have read. I wonder if I'm going to get kicked out the group now because I brought up the issue? It was funny, the admin responded in like HUGE RED letters about how the topic was too touchy to talk about.

I don't know anything about the book club group that is on cafemom but it would be fabilous to talk about issues in depth without someone screaming TMI about something they have already witnessed by reading it. . .

Quoting Cheribomb:

what book are you talking about?

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I'd find another group, one that's open to everyone's interpretations of a novel, and has a good time talking about things, rather than slamming others for their differing views.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)