• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mom's against tv.

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM
  • 5 Replies
when my dd (2 1/2) reached the toddler stage i swore she would never be watching those point less kids shows. but once at my mother house she let my dd watch dora and she came home with a video wanting to watch it. so i gave in and turned it on and we watched it together. and now i allow her to watch it once a day. after watching it for a month she knew all of her shaps and colors (which i was having a hard time teaching her) could count to ten in spanish and knows many other spanish words. I am not going to depend on a movie to teach my dd anything but i was so amazed that she has learnt all of this from a show in which i said she would never be watching.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
comptonkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:16 AM

super why has taught my 3 yr old to read very short words...and helped her to recognize her ABC's....i am not 'against' TV, but i AM for limited programming...it has to serve a purpose and if its just pointless(any of the disney channels) then its not allowed...we watch sprout or PBS, there is ALWAYS a lesson to be learned on those channels

Glamourina
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:21 AM

I'm not against watching TV casually, I AM against TV watching when it's meant to:

1. Replace parents as teachers

2. Be used as a babysitter

3. And be the childs only form of entertainment

4. Be turned on all day with the kids being couch potatoes when they should be out playing.

JDBacon
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:26 AM

I have only allowed my children to watch TV that is educational.  My 2 yr old has access to the series of videos that teach kids to read and she actually does read.  She know several words in mandarin and several spanish phrases.  My 6 yr old can speak spanish fluently and can also sign fluently.  We do limit but living in Florida summer is a killer and we live where mosquitoes are bad so outside time is very limited so we use some programming as boosters for our teaching.  We allow my son (6 yr old) to watch some entertainment TV but we still keep it very very restricted.  

CullenLover
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:49 AM

If you pick and chose what your child can watch then she should be fine. even though my children are 6 and 7 yrs old, I still pre-watch a movie before  they are allowed to watch it, They know what they can and cannot watch.

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Mine watched only PBS.  I remember when my younger son was about 4 he ran back home after visiting a neighbor friend and exclaimed that their TV had cartoons!  LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)