Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seat belt issue

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:28 AM
  • 9 Replies

What can you do if the seat belt in your car isn't fitting YOU correctly? I am very tall, I drive a Town and Country minivan (2007), the seat belt is adjustable where it meets the door and I have found that the seat belt fits better when it is all the way to the bottom, which is odd because of how tall I am. But if I have it any higher the belt rubs against the side of my neck so much it wears the skin away. It is still doing it when it's positioned all the way to the bottom and it is very annoying and painful, especially because I have to drive long distances so it rubs for hours.

The belt is also not falling in between my breasts. Actually, it is cross above them and then right down over the top of one. It doesn't feel right and because I have larger breasts it eventually gets pushed off as I drive and the seat belt lies against the front of my neck.

I HATE wearing my seat belt. I'm scared of the seat belt because wearing one could have caused my death 9 years ago. Paranoid about being "trapped" especially in the case of a T-bone accident and having your side of the vehicle smashed while being strapped into place while you are crushed to death. . . Eh, scary stuff. So anyway, I have fears about the seat belt. Due to my past it seems like the enemy, not the savior so it is a learning process to getting me to wear one. I do put my kids in the seat belt all the time, however, but they are also in car seats that have side impact protection. You don't get that as an adult. :( So, I don't need anything to deter me from wearing the seat belt. I spend many hours a week behind the wheel (about 20 hours) so I need comfort. What can I do?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:35 AM

As odd as this may seem, is there any way you could go to a fire department or police station to see if they know how to better position the belt on your body safely?  I know there are seat belt adjusters on the market but no clue what they adjust.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:08 AM

I have a strap that wraps around the top of the seatbelt which I bought at the store, for comfort. That took care of my problem.

lovemybaby283
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:46 AM

I don't think it matters how tall you are. It should fit comfortably across your chest and over your shoulder. If it is rubbing your neck then that means it is to high. Notice the pic by gobryan. That is what it should look like.

tanya_marieh
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:11 AM

You know i"vw always wondered this because I'm short and I have the same problems with seat belts.  I'm always fighting with the belt because it will fall to one side or the other of the boobs.

Celtic_Dragon
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I just mentioned the hight thing because it is odd that it is too high. I have it on the lowest setting where the belt meets the door panel but it's still not right? Unfortunatly, I cannot adjust my seat up (there isn't the option to, it's the standard model so no extra goodies). What can I do about it?

Quoting lovemybaby283:

I don't think it matters how tall you are. It should fit comfortably across your chest and over your shoulder. If it is rubbing your neck then that means it is to high. Notice the pic by gobryan. That is what it should look like.

hurleydoll18
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:11 PM

It's not that odd.  You must have long legs and a short torso.  Just like with child car seats, overall height means almost nothing since ppl carry their height in different places.  No solutions for you though, sorry

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

I just mentioned the hight thing because it is odd that it is too high. I have it on the lowest setting where the belt meets the door panel but it's still not right? Unfortunatly, I cannot adjust my seat up (there isn't the option to, it's the standard model so no extra goodies). What can I do about it?

Quoting lovemybaby283:

mommawombat
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I have a sheepskin thing on mine to keep it from rubbing my neck, I have not pay attention to how it fits. I'm 5'3" and drive a Sedona. I guess I see when I get in my mini van in a few hours.

mama_girl07
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I have issues with the seatbelt too. its a constant battle between seatbelt and boobs lol

If you have a fear and really should jsut be something that is in the car you can get a seatbelt cutter/window smasher for those cases where you you can unbuckle the seatbelt you jsut cut it.

http://www.amazon.com/Seatbelt-Cutter-Window-Breaker-Emergency/dp/B002AMAXNA

Seans_mommy123
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:20 PM

There is something called a Safe Fit for seat belts. Its will help with your problem. http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Auto-Seat-Adjuster-Positioner/dp/B000046Q50

There is also this product as well. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2328535

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)