Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

...organize...

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:33 AM
  • 5 Replies

hi...how do you organize some of your things in your house.what do you ussually do to some things that are not in use...ty

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
GOBryan
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:04 AM

It depends what they are. The things I only need to pull out once a year, get stored in big plastic (bugfree) containers out in the garage. I use many of the 99c plastic shoebox containers to keep things in order.

I don't have many winter clothes b/c I live in Florida but if I lived up north, I would probably use those bags that suck out the air to compress the size for easy storage.

I also make it a point to go through the entire house every 6 months and get rid of whatever I haven't used in about a year. Either have a yardsale or give it away.

Mama_of_two123
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:32 AM
Organize??? Whats onrganize?! LOL! Jk!! Im in the same boat...our house is CRAZY cluttered and I hate it!! Ive been slowly clearing things out and organizing tho...I found that those shoe holders that you can hang up are good for storing/organizing craft stuff lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemybaby283
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:58 AM

I have  a rule, if it hasn't been used in a year we toss it. Clothes included, I donate ALL the time. And it really depends on what it is. for clothes we put the out of season ones in a bin in the attic and rotate them out. As for books we usually keep them, but if I don't want them anymore I donate. I Through out winter I gather up all the over a year old items and we either have a yard sale or I take it to good will.DH hates that I do this, but we live in a very small house, and I can't stand clutter.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I use bins, baskets, hanging organizers in the closets, and tons of other things to try - TRY - to keep things organized all the time, but it doesn't always work, and at some point, I'll get sick or injured or busy and everything goes back to CHAOS instantly. Once a year, at least, I go through all the closets and drawers and ruthlessly purge clothes, toys, shoes, and other things that haven't been used in a year, and then take those items to the local rescue mission center to donate. I'm also a huge fan of Get Organized - a catalog full of organizational things - and try to take cues from that for things that will work around here. It's time to purge again now, though. It's awful around here at the moment. :/

CHabegger
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:43 PM

I have a large family (6 kids with a 7th due shortly).  We also live in a fairly large home.  So organization is a must around here.  Like the other posters I use multiple things to keep items organized. 

For toys and things I use plastic bins with easy to take off lids and each different toy category has it's own bin on a shelf (ie..blocks, doll house, puzzles, kitchen). 

Each child has a bath box where they keep their own personal size bottle of shampoo, conditioner, bath soap, sponge, tooth brush, tooth paste, etc.  They take it into the bathroom and use it during their shower and then take it back to their closet when they are done.

I simply went to Walmart and went through their container section and grabbed very cheap plastic bins for anything and everything.  Everything in our house has to have a spot and it has to be tidy.  And any time then or now that I find that something is a continual mess then it gets evaluated and organized in some fashion.  Ie...I have a shoe box by the front door that everyone's shoes go into instead of scattered all over the house.  I hang a green grocery bag on the stairs and anytime I see something that belongs upstairs that is left out I throw it in the bag and the children empty the bag every evening.  Etc...

Staying organized is MUCH easier to do if it is done regularly.  Once a week I go through all the drawers, closets, bathrooms, garage, etc. and do a very quick once over to make sure everything is neat and organized.  When I do it this often I usually spend no more than 10 minutes in any room getting it ready for the upcoming week. 

If you ever need organization tips simply visit a K teacher's classroom.  They are always neat and organized.  And they offer lots of hints for keeping things that way. 

Also, when not in immediate use...store.  And store out of sight and neatly.  The fastest and easiest way to have a cluttered home is to keep things out and about that are not in use. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)