Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you teach them to read?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM
  • 12 Replies
My dd is 3 turning 4 in Feb and she knows must of the letter sounds already. I'm confuse as to how they learn to read lol. Is not like I'm going to read to her and she will learn, I want to know the prices of it all,how do they learn? At What age?
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Mine taught himself at 4. I'd taught the letter sounds, then we went on to sounding out simple words, and I read many beginners books to him such as Hop on Pop so he'd get the idea that the letters put together made words that stood for something. Before I realized it, he could pick up simple books that he'd never seen and read them. My younger son started reading just before he got into kindergarten. Same thing. Letters, sounds, putting them together. Lots of reading to him.

mommamixon
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:51 AM

We homeschool our children and they way the curriculum teaches us to do it is by blends.  ex- you would say a consonant and a vowel together and until she gets use to putting the two sounds together.  Like T says t A says a  together they say ta.  once she gets that concept you can add the next letter and sound ex the word tap.  We use the Abeka Curriculum and they have stuff for pre-k with teacher guides. 

sweettigeress
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Start with simple two and three letter words. Have her sound out the letters for A and T. Put them together you get "at". Then have her sound out the letter C to put in front of the word "at". And since you can spell many things using "at" at the end you can run with that till you work on longer words.

Sipesyeri
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM
Go buy BOB Books! You can also get them at the library. When mine was 4 we started the set and she was reading within a week! They are great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy22boyz357
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Get material from the library. They have a ton of resources. We are using the letter books for the more difficult letter sounds. Then they have beginning reader books which are great. Once she knows the letter sounds, make small words like RED and teach her to put the sounds together by sounding out each one slowly then a little faster. I also do simple stuff like draw about 5 pictures on one side of a paper (ball, sun, easy stuff like that), then mix up the words on the other side and have them draw lines to connect the right word. He loves to do that. It helps them with the beginning sound and getting familiar with the words.

amt838
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I used these books by Mercer Mayer.The titles were "Justme and My mom" Just me and my dad"Just go to bed" etc.They were short .I read them every night for 1/2 hour.They had a little cricket and moust to look for.The kids memorized the words. So they would say it back to me and pretty soon they were reading it to me.Then I progressed to something a little longer.Judy Bloom.Some thing you could read in the half hour.When they could read they would read to me every night for 1/2 hour.I read them a little Dr.Doolittle for the 1/2 hour .The Like Nancy Drew or the hardy boys.or the baby sitter club.But you have to be consistant.If I was working my husband did it.Then they read the junior additions of what we were reading Clive Cussler.I can't tell you what we spent on books.But  it was well worth it.Find a series that they like and stick with it.My  girls both grad from college this year -one from chiropractic school the other as a CPA.To this day there is always a book with them.

Rachel789
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM
DD learned at 2 1/2 almost 3. She's gifted though and learning before 4 or 5 is considered very young. In school they learn to read at 5 or 6. She wanted to read. So I taught her. She already knew the sounds. So I taught her how to blend the sounds of the letters to make words. KWIM? She caught on very quickly. But then again she's gifted so I have no clue how much help I am to this post
Owl_Feather
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I was about that age when I started. My dad read to me every night and the library was my kingdom every week. He would read to me, and he also let me hold the book so I could look at the pictures. Sometimes he did the  "follow the bouncing ball" technique with his finger so I could follow along. Many childrens books have big print, and easy words. Some good beginner books: Dr. Seuss books, books like "the cat sat on the hat"....easy to pronounce and rhyming makes it fun.

The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth

----Chief Seattle

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:50 PM

We got and used the wonderful book called TEACH YOUR CHILD TO READ IN 100 EASY LESSONS. my kindergarten kids were on 2nd grade reading level by the end of the year homeschooling and using that program.. They probably sell them on amazon i bet.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Starfall.com is a great help for us.  DD is learning letter sounds now and we try to sound out words.  She turned 4 in march.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)