Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do I do about the kids fighting?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM
  • 4 Replies

Both of my boys are tots and their dad always play wressles with them they love power rangers (which is obviously all about fighting)   But I am scared they have taken it too far.  The only way they play together now is play fighting and then when they argue it always turns into real fights.  Any time I try to chase them around the house and tickle them they always wind up trying to hit me.  Im worried that they will wind up getting in school and hitting the other kids thinking they are playing.  My husband say that they are boys and thats how boys play but has tried to cut down on the wressiling.  Ive told them a million times to stop fighting but they dont really listen.  What should i do?  I dont mean they have to stop all together but there is a time to playfight and a time to not hit people.  Ive tried explaining this to them too but are they too young to understand that?  what would you do?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
EsmeVincent
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I'm not real sure sweety, only kind of play fighting we do is tickle fighting.  Maybe tell them to please stop play fighting and play something else and after 3 times of telling them if they don't listen then put them in time out.  They should be able to play with out fighting, even if its play fighting

mommawombat
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Mkae them hug each other. I do that with my oldest two, They hate it.

If you see a fight coming on redirect their attention

Bieg9093
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I'd like for your husband to understand that, if the boys don't learn to control the "boys will be boys" stuff, they're not going to get invited to all the birthday parties and playdates that kids who don't hit get to go to.  I'd like for him to understand that the "boys will be boys" stuff never EVER includes hitting mommy.  I think that if they cannot stop roughhousing when told to stop, then, no, they shouldn't be allowed to do it at all.

Boys also like building things, using tools, climbing things, jumping from heights, going really fast, campfires, target practice, (perhaps nerf or water weaponry might be best to start) auto maintenance and repair, exploring the wilds, kite-flying, ball-playing, hobby-building, sheetrocking, and demolition.  If all hubby knows to do with them is wrestle, he should expand his repetoire.  Boys will be boys, but dad's gotta start teaching them to be men.

Best of Luck!

mommy31007
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:27 PM

He does do more things with them then just wrestle hes a great dad and yes you are right it should never be ok to "hit mommy" but i dont mean they do it meanly they think im trying to play fight with them but i tell them not to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)