Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM Needs Some Advice

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

OK everyone I am looking for some advice and suggestions.  So here I go, I hope I don't ramble too much, but I need some advice from Moms.

I have been a SAHM for 6 years and have three children, I love it and wouldn't change it for the world.  However, lately I feel like I need something for me, being Mom 24/7 and no breaks, is starting to really cause me a lot of stress.  I thought if I could make money at a little venture even better.  I joined AVON last year mostly for my family to buy from me as our local representative retired.  Then shortly after my best friend who had just signed up, introduced me to Shaklee and convinced me to join.  Initially with both I was very pumped and had lots of ideas of what I could do to create a business for me, my own little venture/project!  Then reality set in and I realized what I want to do and what is actually feasible for me to do while looking after my family are two completely different things.  Can I have a little something for me, is it possible?  I am thinking of quiting at least one or both businesses but am I really giving them a chance?  I have invested money into them and now I kick myself.  Is this the way to go or is there something else out there?

I would love to hear from other Moms who have experienced the same thing or have suggestions for me.

Thank You for listening.

thank you

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SullivanMommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Never heard of Shaklee.

rjacob2008
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:52 PM

What is shaklee?  I personally dont like throwing parties like Avon and it doesn't seem like you get much out of it, but thats just my opinion.  I too would love a little extra income but not sure how to get it without sacrificing a lot of time from the kids

texasmommy1216
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Running a business is deffinatly a learning expierence. These programs are designed to give you more time with your family yet sometimes you feel like one or the other is lacking your time. Just play around with the balance of your two things your doing. Give everything your time...EVEN YOURSELF. we often forget about that one!

Your giving yourself guilt when you really shouldnt be. I can tell from this post that you are a hard working mom who struggles with balance. LIKE WE ALL DO!

PROUD Work at home mommy  ~~~ JESSICA~~~~

Do You Want to work from home? Check this site out Work at home Moms  **********************************************************
Just want to get to know me better? Check out my Tweets Add me On Facebook  

Or click the banner and Read my Blog called My Name Is Mommy

lisa601
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I tried this with Pampered Chef.  I loved the business, the products and the extra $$.  Then my son was dx with type 1 diabetes.  Before I can book any shows, I have to also coordinate with my DH and my mother as a back up if he works late and/or has plans.  It became way too much trouble and I gave it up.

I would love to find something part-time now that my kids are in school but with everyone looking for a job and my restrictions (only 8-2, off for school functions, etc.) it doesn't look likely.

JazzysWifey
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM
I don't know what Shaklee is, but I'm a business owner with Tastefully Simple. I love it, I have fun and I think that's because even though I'm my own boss I'm part of a team, and we have monthly meetings where we share business ideas- do you have some type of support like that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seth.ethan225
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I quit Avon after 3 months. I made my momey back but I was still HOME, not that that is bad but I needed to get away. I waitress 2 days a week and loved it, good luck on your decision

mommawombat
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Hubby needs to step uo to the plate and give you a break. He helped create the kids so he needs time to be with them.

I had to threw a big hissy fit to get some me time and it was well worth it.

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM

AWWWW my heart goes out to you, but to be very honest about the Shaklee( I do know what that is) and the Avon or any other similar businesses like those... I HATED it with a passion when any of my friends or relatives tried those, I always felt like they were trying to pressure everyone to buy and make us feel guilty if we didnt.  I don't remember any of them doing outstandingly well either, not enough to make it worth their stress etc.

Have you talked to your husband about how you are feeling and has he been supportive or had any ideas of what he thought might help you since he knows you even better than we do?

Yvonne

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I love Shaklee products and I have used them for years.

I also like Avon, and have also used those for years, which I know isn't what you are asking.  I'd say that two businesses like this are probably too many when you have three little ones at home.

heybooboo
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I go to the gym for an hour every morning.  It has child care, so that is a big plus.

That hour really seems to help.  I have been a SAHM for 10+ years now.  I did try working from home, but it only added to the stress.

The hour at the gym though.  Oh how I crave it on days I can't get there....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)