Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

medical mommas, lookie here!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM
  • 19 Replies

Im taking my daughter back to the doc on monday but until then im trying to figure this out on my own. For the last week she has been off. At night she'd kinda cough and gag and then would throw up in her sleep. The coughing is not new as she has enlarged adenoids and tonsils and we will be getting them out soon. But the gag and throwing up is not the norm. She'd be fine afterwards, and during the day but at night just would throw up a foul smelling vomit (tmi?) I cut out all dairy and she has been ok. Last 2 days nothing. She had some very watered down juice at naptime and woke up just whining and not herself. after cuddling for a bit she coughed, gagged and threw up again. just a lil bit but gross and foul smelling again. She has had NO fever or diahrrea, just the occasional vomiting, and just kinda sleepy and very clingy. 

Last week when this started we took her to the doc, they said she was completely fine, it may be becuase her tonsils were swollen. But she was acting fine at the docs and they pretty much wrote it off as i was overreacting, which i never do, we've been thru much worse in the past. The next day we were at the ENT and the doc said yes they were enlarged but it wouldnt be the cause of the throwing up.

So any ideas as to what is going on??

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Paradys
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM

BUMP!

mommawombat
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Maybe acid reflux? My daughter throws up when she wakes up from a nap.

Rhiannon1988
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:06 PM

i agree. there's definitely something wrong with her stomach.. i would take her back to the doctor and insist they check her stomach and test for acid reflux, or whatever they think could be causing it.

if it stopped when you took away dairy, and it did it again after juice.. acid reflux sounds correct.

Quoting mommawombat:

alithemklady
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM

That's what I was thinking.   Or maybe even an paraesophageal hernia?  Best of luck!

Quoting mommawombat:

Princess7777
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Is the juice acidic?  She could be allergic to that.  I couldn't drink too much acidic stuff and stand can't.

Forget-me-not
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:09 PM
What kinda cough? Fever?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM

i dont think its reflux. her twin has had GERD since birth and its very different (their symptoms) but i guess anything is possible.  No fever, as i said in my post. and its like a gagging sort of cough, kinda flemy sounding.

mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Now that is weird.  I think if it's phlegm that would cause her to throw up but foul smelling isn't normal.  That's usually something going on with the stomach, like something not sitting well/rotten like.  What if you try giving her water tonight & see what happens?  Around what time's the latest you give her something to drink? 

lundaylove
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:28 PM

she always gets about 4oz of water before she lays down for bed or nap. She hadnt had anything to eat or drink for about 2 hours when she threw up the last time. i had tried getting her to at least drink but she wasnt feeling it. then she threw up so i guess she wasnt feeling good.

Quoting mommy2cristian:

Now that is weird.  I think if it's phlegm that would cause her to throw up but foul smelling isn't normal.  That's usually something going on with the stomach, like something not sitting well/rotten like.  What if you try giving her water tonight & see what happens?  Around what time's the latest you give her something to drink?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)