Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning to Read- does anyone know of a good toy/learning system?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:05 PM
  • 24 Replies

Hi,

so I want to start my 4 year old reading in a few months but am wondering what would be a good thing to get?  I know Leapfrog has stuff but I'm not sure which one.  I'm not really interested in that big book thing they had before where you put the binder thing on it because that doesn't seem mobile.  I'd like it to be something he can take with him when he goes places.  Any suggestions?

Thanks ladies for giving me good sites & info to go buy.  I'm going to see which one will interest him to get him a head start!

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britsanj
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM

i've heard wonders about the 'your baby can read' program, i've also heard its expensive, but really worth it

SassyPainter
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:09 PM

They make smaller leapads too.  We have a leapfrog leapad learning system, or whatever it's called--the bigger one, and I think it's mobile. 

masastan
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:10 PM

My kids loved the Leapfrog books. Now they have the Tag product. You could try that.

Forget-me-not
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM
Learning to read in a hundred easy lessions and Sing, spell read and write is another. Abeka has a good reading program, so does hooked on phonics. I'm a Homeschool mom and these are a few of the more common ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
masastan
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM

The best thing is really, to get a list of dolch sight words. Make flash cards and go over them every day. This will also give him a head start on kindergarten. Get some easy reader books, even walmart has them, and just read together, helping him sound out the words. The toys and all that help are great but they don't compete with learning the old fashioned way.

wentworth99
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

The leapfrog videos are great ! there is a whole line of them, they around $10 a piece. I also like the jumpstart computer games, my kids love them they have a whole bunch from pre-school and up.

jjzj82
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:18 PM
my kids love the leap frog word builder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Quoting masastan:

The best thing is really, to get a list of dolch sight words. Make flash cards and go over them every day. This will also give him a head start on kindergarten. Get some easy reader books, even walmart has them, and just read together, helping him sound out the words. The toys and all that help are great but they don't compete with learning the old fashioned way.

He doesn't want to sit down with me.  He's only interested when he feels like paying attention.  I tried flash cards but he got bored quickly & had no interest.  I'll check out the Tag stuff.

mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Can you tell me more?  Is that stuff online or books?  I know, I know.  I'm clueless.

Quoting Forget-me-not:

Learning to read in a hundred easy lessions and Sing, spell read and write is another. Abeka has a good reading program, so does hooked on phonics. I'm a Homeschool mom and these are a few of the more common ones.

sweettigeress
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I agree with this. My DD isn't interested in even listening to the leap frog things. She has a leappad and the learning to write leappad. She doesn't pay a bit of attention to what they're saying when she's playing with them. That and sometimes those are hard to hear the right pronunciation of words and the sounding of the letters. It would be better for you to sound them out to him so he can hear clearly.

Quoting masastan:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)