Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What about VIDEO GAMES?!?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is 5 and she has absolutely no idea how to play video games.  My mephew on the other hand is about the same age, a couple months younger, can play any game in the world.  I barely started teaching her how to play a Mario game on my DSI but how much is too much. I have let her plat for like 15  minutes the most.  I am scared that one she will break it and 2 she will become adicted to it like I am.  What do you guys think?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweettigeress
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:33 PM

We're a video game family here. My 3yo DD rocks at Wii bowling. lol! She's even played pokemon and was actually doing battle and such before she turned 2. But let me just say, 15 minutes isn't much when you're playing a video game. That will go by in no time and it'll feel like she barely got to play at all. 

Jonathan101909
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:38 PM
Its a good thing for the brain, just no violence :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steph_hailee
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM
My 3yr old daughter and 1yr old son love playing on my iPod touch. My daughter watches videos on YouTube andcartoons on it and plays a princess game. And my son love to play the scanner games and I have this app called slap it and u punch some guy hahahahaha he loves it hahaha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I would say it's too much when that's all they want to do at the expense of other things.  For instance my 4 year old has a DSi.  He had a DS Lite before that.  He has a bunch of games & plays a lot.  My mom just bought him a Wii & sometimes he plays his dad's Playstation2 (soccer game).  I'm completely amazed at what he can do or is able to do & can figure out on his own.  But he still shows an interest in tv, playing outside, & learning his letters, numbers, writing, etc.  Those are things that aren't required but since he was showing an interest & doing education stuff then he needs to continue doing/learning those things. 

tinakenny
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM
Sorry I hate video games. They do get addicted to them if you let them play too much. 15 mins is good. Once school starts the wii and xbox get put away. Wii is good because they are more active but doesn't take the place of real outdoor excercise.
karischub
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I don't think that there can ever be too little video games in a child's life. As long as she is playing and reading and doing her thing learning about the world around her there is no need to introduce her to video games. Until the 80's kids never played video games and they were fine.

fluffball80
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:59 PM

DD is 7 and doesn't know how to play most games.  We have a PS 1 and 2 and a Wii.  The Wii has been the biggest waste of money we spent since we don't play it at all.  I wanted it because I thought it would be something I would enjoy and I hate it.  I am not into playing games at all.  DH was addicted to them before he met me.  I have gotten him out of playing them when he is at home.  I got an itouch for Christmas one year and I don't use that much either.

I encourage playing outside when the weather is nice and playing with toys and reading.  I find that reading for me is more entertaining than playing video games.  We do play board games a lot in our house.  When we do play the Wii its only for 15-30 minutes because I get bored of it very easily and that is all I can take. 

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I especially love wii bc they can get up and move about while playing them.  My kids arent little anymore but my daughters 19 yr old boyfriend has a YOUNG niece and two little nephews all in early elementary and they love playing our wii when they come visit.  Its fun as a family activity to all do together too.

I agree with other posters who said if she wants to do that at the EXCLUSION of other activities then I would limit her.

Yvonne

nyraerikson
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:00 PM

We are a huge video game family (no violence for the little ones), but we have family WII tourneys and Guitar Hero competitions all the time. My kids and I use them for bonding time and they're just plain fun lol. There is a point when it's time to go outside and play though. 

katiecat87
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM

My house is a video game house for the most part. My fiancee plays video games all the time (anyway it feels that way... lol) and i have actually started to enjoy playing some of them with him. We play Mario Kart for the Wii and we will give our daughter the extra wheel we have (without controller) and she sits there and goes "vroom, vroom"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)