Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

monsters are not real

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM
  • 23 Replies

My 4 yr old is so terrified about monsters,  Me and my husband try to convince him that they are not real but I dont think he understands the concept.  How do I let him know that there is no such thing on a level that he can understand?  We dont let him watch scary movies or anything of that nature,  but somehow he found out about them.  We tried to keep all things like that away from our kids.  I had hoped that they wouldnt hear anything about monsters until they were old enough to understand its not real.  But evidently that didnt work and now I dont want him to be scared I want to reasure him he has nothing to be afraid of but telling him " they are not real"  Doesnt work he doesnt understand what that means.  HELP ME PLEASE

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweettigeress
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I just read something about children being afraid of things. No matter what you do, it will not ease their mind. Even showing them there's nothing under the bed or in the closet doesn't calm them because they'll just think you can't see them. It's just something he'll have to eventually figure out on his own. 

Princess7777
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:29 PM

May have found out at a friends house or something not sure.  Try a magic trick and show him that something disappears and comes back.  Then say it's not real.

2milesboys
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM

we told me 3 year old that monsters were all in his head and that he had no reason to be scared but if he did feel scared then he just say "go away monster im not scared of you" and the monsters have to run away... but he's a very special boy he didnt cry getting staples in his head cause we told him they were special staples and didnt hurt

mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Well for him they are very real so I would work with it.  I would explain to him although they aren't real would it make him feel better to sleep with a night light or with the door open/cloesed?  Maybe a monitor in the room to let him know that you & DH are on the other end so if he needs to just call out?  A lot of time it's the shadow or something else that makes them think what they're hearing or seeing is a monster.

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM

One of my sons went through a stage where he slept with a flashlight bc he was only scared at night (he had a night light besides.) 

Yvonne

shoegirl01
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Have her watch a sesime street then explain that a) monsters are not real, and B) if they where real, monsters are super friendly!  Elmo is a monster, there is the cookie monster, etc.  It worked with our son really well when he put together that elmo=monster=a really friendly person!

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I would probably ask him where he heard of monsters from and why does he think they are real?  So I had a starting point or foundation to work from more effectively. It is easier to dissipate an idea if we know what exactly it is and where it came from.

Maybe play some FUN games with him in the dark and tell him that its not scary or dangerous bc if it was mom and dad would never let him play or be alone in the dark bc if there really were monsters they wouldnt want their little boy to be scared of them, but actually dark is fun tooo and you can show him its true...

play flashlight tag and flashlight hide and seek.  Make shadow figures on the wall with your hands and let him help you make some too.  take a roll of scotch tape in the dark and tell him watch this cool magic trick from static electricity and when you pull the tape very fast and suddenly from the roll it sparks a tiny bit, the same thing happens if you buy a box of sugar cubes and put them on a cookie sheet and sit in a dark room with NO light and hit them with a hammer they spark in the dark, kids love this. 

Yvonne

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I have also heard of moms who couldnt beat the monster fear buy an empty plant spray bottle and fill it with water or even just air and let him help you make and color a label for it of NO MONSTER SPRAY  or monster killer spray and he keeps that in his room and anytime he feels scared he sprays it and then is safe again.

To me this is admitting there is monsters in a way BUT sometimes there is no convincing them that there arent so that is when this helps. 
My son was convinced they were scared of lights like from flashlights too so that is why having one helped him.

PS we didnt even have a tv at all until my oldest was 8 yrs old so I have no clue where the monster fear came from either.

Yvonne

karischub
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Not real is a really hard concept before age 5. Maybe you could put a positive spin on monsters. My DD really likes Monsters Inc the movie. It's a Disney movie and the monsters in it are afraid of humans.. (Watch it first and see what you think.) My DD has bathtub monsters. I've seen some cute monster toys or maybe Sesame Street. Elmo is a cute furry little monster... Having a monster buddy might make him feel better about monsters in general.

mamamisty249
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM

My friend put a label on a bottle of febreeze that said "monster killer" or repelent or something like that.  She sprayed it under the bed and the closet whenever her son was scared.  It did the trick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)