Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night terrors and bad dreams in 2 year old?!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:28 PM
  • 13 Replies

My DD is 2 and a half-ish. She is usually up a few times a night but recently it is a little different. She wakes up suddenly and cries/screams. When we go in her room, she is standing in her crib sweating. Tonight was the worst I have seen her. She was so sweaty that I had to change her pajamas. The temperature in the house and her room is cool/comfortable. At first I thought she was sick. I tried to take her temp, but she put up a fight and I did not get a clear reading. I gave her tylenol just in case. I sat with her for a while and she did not seem really hot. Her cheeks were a little flushed, but she fell asleep in my arms and I laid her back down. That was it. Could she be having night terrors or bad dreams. I asked her if anything hurt or if anything was wrong and she didn't really answer me. She talks well but would not be able to tell me if she was really scared...I don't think. Any suggestions as to what is going on?! Thanks ladies!

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamakenzi
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:34 PM

It's normal at this age for both bad dreams and night terrors.  If it's a night terror then the child usually doesn't really wake up and doesn't remember it.  It's freakier for you then her.

acaemommy
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:09 AM

It sure is!!! Thanks so much for your reply! She pretty much woke up, so she either had a bad dream or maybe hot flashes (LOL!) just kidding!

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:12 AM

That sounds more like just plain old bad dreams.  And 2 -2.5 is a typical age for them to start.  Night terrors are way different.  They child is basically still sleeping, even though they are screaming, crying, their eyes are often open, they can get violet, and there isn't a damn thing you can do to comfort them.  You just have to sit and watch.

Lilimarlene
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:18 AM

My son is also two and he just started having nightmares and night terrors. I think its normal, I just confort him leave the light on give him his little stuffed duck and he goes back to sleep.

mommy0f2g1b
by Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:22 AM

I 3 year old had night terrors when she was at that age, they lasted about 6 months or so and then disappeared. However my DD has always been very vocal and would tell us what her dream was about.  It should pass with time. 

lenoxclan
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:27 AM

My daughter is 7 and she still has them. Though not nightly anymore, Thank God! LOL Just as the other poster said, they don't remember them. My daughter, when we wake her up, as just suddenly awake. She will even ask why we woke her up..lol We try not to wake her up, usually if we talk to her, she will respond, and we can talk her down without waking her. When she was younger they were worse and if she was woken up she would whine and cry for hours.

Good luck momma:0)

iainsmommy
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM

My son is almost 2 and is going through the night terror faze too. i feel so bad for him, he has them at least twice a week. He will wake up screaming bloody murder and I will go in his room and he will be drenched in sweat bawling his eyes, sometimes they are so bad he will be standing in the middle of his room or next to his bedroom door. I usually stay with him till he goes back to sleep or some nights if daddy doesn't have to get up to go to work I just put him in bed with us.

Glamourina
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Night terrors are usually occured when a child is too tired, so try and make sure she gets more rest.

Since night terrors are most commonly triggered by being overtired, sometimes no treatment is necessary except for a bedtime schedule that ensures proper sleep. If the night terrors are more frequent, however, it has been suggested that the sufferer should be awakened from sleep just before the time when the terrors occur most to interrupt the sleep cycle.

elly25
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM

My son has had night terrors since I was almost two. He'll wake up crying and screaming. He's not all the way awake though. He can hurt him self. Because he's not all the way awake. You shouldn't try to hold them or talk to them when they are having a night terror. You just have to wait it out and watch them. It's more tariffing for you then them. They have no clue what is going on.

As for night mirrors. Holding, talking, and so on helps them calmdown. Telling them that it wasn't real helps too. My son has had more then one of those. My daughter had her first one last month. The scream and cry that she let out made my skin crawl and hair stand on end. Poor girl was terrified.

YourMyTrouble
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:45 AM
First of all why give her meds?
Second of all, I had them for over ten years of my life, with time she will get over them.,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)