Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hedonistic viewpoint

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:42 PM
  • 5 Replies

A driving force in the human psyche is to always feel better. The hedonistic views is minimize pain, maximize pleasure.....eat, drink and be merry etc. My teacher gave us a challenge one semester. If we could find one thing that we did that would not bring us more pleasure than pain she would give us an A and we could walk out of class. I know we all thought about it and tried to come up with something a few even presented her with one(including me) and she shot it down within seconds. At the end of the semester she told us that one of her professors had asked the class the same question. She had never found a single thing. Can you think of anything?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Moniker
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM

A few things do come to mind as being unpleasant, like being nice to my son's father, but really all of the things I can think of ultimately bring some peace or happines if not to me, to someone I love. I don't know if I would exactly call it pleasure, though.  It's an awesome challenge. I can't thik of anything I do that doesn't have some sort of pleasure type of pay off.

heybooboo
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Pleasure is relative.  But what she is looking for is......

Immortality.

There is an excellent book  http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Time-Power-Sexuality-Evolution/dp/0142004677/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281239575&sr=1-3.

mommawombat
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:55 PM

wow some food for thought. I'm going to be thinking alot the next couple of days on this one.confused

angelsmom94
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Being a christian, a real christian. I may have to suffer  some on this earth by being persecuted for my choice but I know without fail that I have a Heavenly Father who will fight all my battles for me, I have an eternal home waiting for me and there will never be any more pain or sorrow. And there is noway your teacher or anyone else can dispute that one.  I ultimately WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for asking.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Yes, you will win. But the what you do in this life-however painful or sorrowful will lead you to a perfect eternal life. That is hedonistic to the end.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)