Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

HELP! Does anyone else have a toenail like this?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have had a bad toenail problem for 7 years.  Since I got pregnant with my oldest.  My right big toe, under the toenail has a thick white hard stuff under the toenail, and I always get ingrown toenails.  What can I do to prevent getting ingrown toenails, and how can I get this thick white stuff out from under my toenail. 

by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jenpen426
by Member on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM

maybe you should see a Podiatrist about it...have it checked by a professional.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Yes it sounds like nail fungus which can usually only be treated by a doctor unless they suggest an over the counter medicine.   I have a horrible toenail that is about 1/2 inch thick and yet i can still trim it.  No doctor has ever suggested treament which i think is odd for me.

GatorGirl02347
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM

My insurance won't cover it.  The Naval Hospital said they will only refer it for an active duty member (I am a family member), and to them it is not "affecting" my "job" 

GatorGirl02347
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes it sounds like nail fungus which can usually only be treated by a doctor unless they suggest an over the counter medicine.   I have a horrible toenail that is about 1/2 inch thick and yet i can still trim it.  No doctor has ever suggested treament which i think is odd for me.

Yeah, mine is about a 3/4 of an inch :-/

C8Baxter
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Not sure about the white stuff problem, but a way to prevent ingrown nails is to avoid cutting it down too far and to cut it straight across. Looks weird, but supposedly helps prevent the issue. Good luck!

(I'd just as your general practitioner if the other problem bothers you. It could simply be a missing--or over prominent nutrient, calcium deposits maybe? I'm not a doctor...so don't take me at my word. I think my toe nails are white underneath...)

GatorGirl02347
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:35 PM

It is like a white  buildup of stuff.  It is not part of the toenail...     :-/

itsallabtthem84
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:35 PM

BUMP!

AuntieV
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Both of my big toes used to be like that. I picked up a nail fungus when I was in the hospital of all places. After trying the meds I was referred to a podiatrist. He removed both of my toenails permanently. Best thing I ever did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)