Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice please.... Baby is 7 months and still sleeps with us, but...

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:14 AM
  • 7 Replies
I want to get her in her own bed for at least the first part of the night. She is our first. I breastfeed. And for 2 months I have tried a few times to put her in her own bed when she falls asleep. But she wakes up and is upset and wont go back to sleep until I put her back in bed and nurse her... Lol. I love sleeping with her, but I realize I don't sleep as good and it's been a long time. I know I should've done this before, but it was so much easier for breastfeeding. She doesn't wake up at night really, but night feeds.
Her doctor said co sleeping is fine, but I should maybe try putting her in her own bed between 6-9 months. Any suggestions? I think it was my laziness that caused this. I know lots of moms that cosleep and don't.... I guess it just depends on your lifestyle.
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:26 AM
Maybe try putting her right next to your bed then slowly moving her out of the room?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:35 AM

I was at exactly the same position as you are now. What  did was that I started to put my DS down in his crib for naps first. after naps worked out We started with bed times. DH would put him down to bed, not me. It was easier that way, then he wouldn't want Mommy milk. at first it was just half the night, then it was all night. It took about 4 weeks to get to that point.

mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:37 AM

When we want our youngest to sleep in her own bed, which doesn't happen often, I have my husband lay her down. She doesn't smell milk on him. But I don't mind co-sleeping at all and neither does my husband, so we'll stop when she decides she no longer wants to sleep with us or when she just gets too big and tries to kick us out of bed.

Or if you're looking to get her out of your bed now, you could try the baby whisper book. Or the no-cry sleep solution, but I like the baby whisper one better since it's more realistic. It will tell you that your child isn't going to like changing or anything, but if you stick with it, it does work. It doesn't involve you leaving your baby crying in a room alone at all. As soon as they start crying, you pick them up and then put them back down when they stop. You do that over and over again til they go to sleep. It takes forever at first, but it does work.

A proud Christian, Republican. Supporter of the deportation of ALL illegal immigrants and their anchor babies, Breastfeeding, Attachment parenting, Natural, Drug free Child Birthing, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CRY IT OUT, mommy to my 3 girls and one on the way and wife to my Marine!

Abortion? What part of "Thou shalt NOT kill" don't you understand?

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:03 AM

If you're not sleeping well, then it's time to move her. Start slowly with putting in her crib for naps. Then try to move her at night into the crib. It will take a little time, but be consistant. Don't give in to her every time she cries, go in ...sooth her and walk back out. It may take a while but she will learn. If you take her out of the crib and nurse her everytime she cries, you're going to reinforce her behavior.

BaileynMe
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Have you tried feeding her and laying her back down? Get a rocking chair or rocking recliner you can sit in during feedings, then when she's done lay her back down in bed. Is her bed in your room or a different room? It might be easier to have her bed in your room at first, just so she can adjust. 

redwoodhunny
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM
Thank you so much mamas for the wonderful advice :-) we have a crib that we haven't set up yet... Once she was sleeping with us we didn't see the point, but now I see we need to get it up for just in case. Her bassinet is too small now. I have laid her down for a couple of naps in her playpen over the last 2 days and it worked! I put one of my shirts with her, but I realize the mama smell may make her think of milk. I will keep trying. Thank you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)