Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for moms with daughters who have gone through puberty

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter has entered the lovely world of puberty (at the ripe old age of 9) and if things keep going the way they are, she will probably get her period sooner than later. I have done some google searches but haven't really found anything helpful regarding pads for girls that are new to all of this. Always, the brand I use, suggests young girls use a panty liner or their infinity product, which is what I use...and um...even the regular size is pretty long! She'd have pad sticking out of the front and back of her underwear. I think wings are a good idea for obvious reasons and most panty liners don't seem to have wings.

As a side note, there are a bunch of premade kits for "first periods" for sale online and I was shocked that every one I looked at included tampons, and typically super tampons at that. Yikes!

So, my question is does anyone recommend a certain brand and type of pad for younger girls?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
anikahaynes1
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:34 AM

I would get the infinity pads for her, when i started my period back when i was 12 (12 years ago now) i always felt frustrated that pads never seemed long enouh and i always bled all over my clothes and i was super embarassedall the time. :( so i think extra protection would be good. and no to panty liners, i tried that, they dont absorb blood well, and are WAYYY too short to be used as a pad. worst idea i ever came up with.

xElizabethx
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:41 AM

Good point about the pads being long not being a bad thing! The wings just look like they'd be difficult to put into a pair of underwear that is so small. I have those in the house all ready so that makes this even easier. I just wanted to make sure I had something on hand for when she needs them.

klsmom112010
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:20 AM

Stayfree overnight pads also work great because they are long enough to cover, but are a little bit bulkier than the always infinity. However, they are super absorbent.  When she does get her period, she'll most likely have heavy periods for a few years, and the stayfree are great, especially if you're at school and can't sneak away to the bathroom to change your pad often.   whatever you do, do not buy her kotex. it's like wearing a diaper.

LadyIQ
by Tonia on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:51 AM

My oldest started at 11 and through trial and error, the Infiinity product is her best option.  The absorbency, size, and thinness makes her feel more comfortable and secure.  I know you have probably already discussed things with her but a great book that both my girls loved was American Girl "The Care and Keeping of You" and/or "Period, A Girl Guide.....they can be found cheaply at Amazon.  Good luck mama!

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Both my SD's got their "friend" between 10-12yo. I used both the books recommended from PP and they helped a lot. They are a wealth of info, especially about how her hygiene care is going to change. The Infinity products work well for them too. Also, I recommend buying a few pairs of biker shorts(tight spandex fitting shorts) for night time. They help control the pad from shifting around when they are sleeping to prevent leakage and they always made my SD's feel more confident that they won't wake up to a mess.

Quoting LadyIQ:

My oldest started at 11 and through trial and error, the Infiinity product is her best option.  The absorbency, size, and thinness makes her feel more comfortable and secure.  I know you have probably already discussed things with her but a great book that both my girls loved was American Girl "The Care and Keeping of You" and/or "Period, A Girl Guide.....they can be found cheaply at Amazon.  Good luck mama!

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:20 AM

My DD started this year. At first her SM got her pads but DD hated the feel. She eventually moved to the regular and light tampons. I didn't like the idea but the doctor said it was fine as long as she followed the instructions. She told me she changes like she should and wears a pad at night. She was with me for the summer and did fine. I liked the Always pads as a teen though. The wings were great! LOL!I didn't start tampons until I was in my 20's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)