Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any one use Implanon??

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM
  • 12 Replies

I'm trying to find a BC for a year after DS is born. I'm planning on nursing, so my options are limited. I HATED the depo, and I'm really bad at remembering to take pills so I thought this might be a good option.

Any feedback, pros or cons would be greatly appreciated

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
megarooniduh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I am going to get the Implanon too. There is a group on cafemom called "Implanon Moms" and they have alot of forums of reviews and discussion about the pros/cons etc. You could probably find some information you want there. Another option is the Mirena, although I've never had it so can't tell you any reviews on it!

zoeysmom331
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Thanks! I thought about the Mirena, but I don't want anything that long term. I know it can be removed, but I don't want to go through that much to put it in and take it back out in a year. (we've decided to wait one year before TTC since I get so sick at the beginning of my pregnancies)

MooreTrio
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Implanon is either a 3 or 5 year thing, I can't remember which but its one of the two. They insert it in your arm & put a sucher to keep it closed. I was told I can not be breastfeeding when I have this in me, so I did not get it put in after all because I was still breastfeeding my 1 year old. From my bad experiences I would not recommend the Mirenaeither. Here is some info I stole from the Implanon site;

IMPLANON® must be removed by the end of the third year and may be replaced with a new IMPLANON®. It is not known if IMPLANON®is as effective in very overweight women because studies did not include many overweight women.  Tell your healthcare provider about any medicines you are taking, or intend to take, including over-the-counter medicines, herbal remedies, and prescription medicines. Certain medicines may make IMPLANON® less effective and you may need to use a barrier method of contraception as backup.

IMPLANON® must be removed by the end of the third year and may be replaced by a new IMPLANON® at the time of removal, if continued contraceptive protection is desired. Failure to remove IMPLANON® may result in infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or inability to stop a drug related adverse event. 

Also, the Implanon rod can shit in your arm, making it more difficult to remove (resulting in surgery) or impossible to find. Another thing my doctor warned me about is bleeding. She made me sign a contract stating that I would try the Implanon for AT LEAST 6 months before having her remove it if I didn't like it, because bleeding can be very heavy for the first 6 months. For me, that was a no-go!

I_love_my_little_boy_heartplane.gif i love my little boy hearts and planes image by skye5454  thbabygirl.gif Love girl image by marriedsBlinkies
     Skyler Michael: 2/7/06          Adelyn June Olita:  2/10/09

Our surprise due: 1/20/11

lind.shep
by Lindsey on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:35 PM
It is so much easier to take out the mirena than it is to remove the implanon... I only had it for a few months before I had to have it take out. They did the initial incision to get it out and they couldn't find it. Ended up cuttin more and diggin in my arm.... Now I have a nasty scar where it was and I get weird pains in that muscle.

Quoting zoeysmom331:

Thanks! I thought about the Mirena, but I don't want anything that long term. I know it can be removed, but I don't want to go through that much to put it in and take it back out in a year. (we've decided to wait one year before TTC since I get so sick at the beginning of my pregnancies)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahbearamommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:42 PM
Getting mirena removed is like having a tampon pulled out. It's very easy..I had mine removed after 1 year. I didn't like it's side effects so I'm planning on getting paraguard after I have my baby I'm oct.

Quoting zoeysmom331:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dustinsmommy74
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM

No sorry.

treysmama06
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Im on Implanon!! I gained weight with it .. 30 lbs.. im almost 150 but i never have a cycle. Once a yr maybe !!! I like it cause i dont have to worry about taking a pill and it last 3 -5 yrs. Mine is only 3 yrs.

So after the little  one gets here are u still going to have one more soon?? Miss Zoey needs lots of little brothers n sisters HAHAH lol

alyssasmommy318
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:41 PM
I love it i have had trouble with every other kind of bc yet everything has been perfect with this!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zoeysmom331
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:45 PM

LOL We do want one more, and we were going to go the 'no prevention' route and see if God wanted us to have another one right away. But I got to thinking that I get really sick at the beginning of my pregnancies, and I want to breastfeed, so me not being able to hold down food for three months might not be a good idea. I want to make sure that Eli gets what he needs before I start trying to grow another one lol

Quoting treysmama06:

Im on Implanon!! I gained weight with it .. 30 lbs.. im almost 150 but i never have a cycle. Once a yr maybe !!! I like it cause i dont have to worry about taking a pill and it last 3 -5 yrs. Mine is only 3 yrs.

So after the little  one gets here are u still going to have one more soon?? Miss Zoey needs lots of little brothers n sisters HAHAH lol

graciepaige
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:48 PM
I have the opposite..i am always bleeding!!! Im usually on my period for 2 weeks streight then i spot for a week....im really thinking about getting it taken out.....

Quoting treysmama06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)