Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you hate your photo taken read this....

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:08 PM
  • 36 Replies

I hate my photo taken. HATE IT. My mom was the same way. As she neared the end of her life however she seemed to recognize how priceless her photo would be to those she left behind and as a photographer I pushed a bit for her to allow it. So I am soooo fortunate to have photos of her with my kids. Well my nephew, who is 31 and a hard ass, came over to get the photos I took of their wedding. He lives in his own world and doesn't visit family much so he hasn't been over since she died. I have the photos displayed and he saw them. It made him cry! My mom was so close to her grandkids yet he has NO pictures of her. I promised to make copies but its not the same as photos that were FOR or WITH him. They all have me or my kids in them. I had not seen my nephew cry since he was like 10. It broke my heart.

So people, take pictures with everyone you love. I know I am going to! I may not display them but they will be available when I am gone. I may not know ahead of time when my time is near like my mom did.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvplay
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM
Very touching...I totally agree!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I'm the only one that takes pictures so I'm never in our family photos.  You bring up a good point though!

gogetem
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:14 PM

That's how I am.  I'm a photographer and no one ever thinks to take a pic of my son and I.  I don't have any :(

Quoting jabs54:

I'm the only one that takes pictures so I'm never in our family photos.  You bring up a good point though!

Owl_Feather
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:14 PM

I dont like the way i look in photos, but I'll tell ya, looking back at how i used to look, before baby, a size 11, long healthy hair, able to afford contact lenses, I think "why did I have self esteem issues? i looked great!" Unfortunately I lost a lot of webcam photos of me and my son when he was a newborn. I looked exhausted, my hair was a mess, I still had the pregnancy belly goin on, but before I lost them, i looked at them and didnt think I looked all that bad afterall. Those were happy memories and they were taken at the house we used to live in. Really bad neighborhood but a very cute house. And of course the photos taken w/ people who have passed on, I'm happy I took photos with them as  I remember them. My mom hates her photos taken. She always has to pose. But the candid photos I took of her playing with my son are priceless! She isnt posing on purpose, just in that moment smiling a genuine smile. I cherish those photos.

Jonathan101909
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:18 PM
I started doing the same when I found out my mom has chronic MS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Butterflysky_24
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I am not the type to refuse pictures because i don't want my son to grow up and not have any pictures of him and his mommy. But I really hate it. And the reason i hate it is cuz I am so fat and just look horrible. But yes, it's true you go tto take pictures with your family so that they have something to remember and cherish. I am exactly like the above poster who said why did i hate the way i looked before baby? I used to think I was so fat and ugly and horrible looking, but if i look back at before the baby, i was 50 pounds or more lighter and used to dye my hair and have it done, and actually used to be able to afford new clothes, and had the time to do makeup... maybe in 50 years i will look back on pictures of now and say i may have been heavy but look how young i was.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:24 PM

I agree!!!!

I say this to my parents all the time. My step-dad HATES his picture taken but I try to tell him one day he is going to die and besides memories that is all we will have.

Kenre
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Last year when my sister died it was so hard to find photos to put up at her funeral. My family just doesn't take photos (I am a photo fanatic, though). As they all searched for pictures in various albums it became very clear that she had maybe 10 in existance. From the age of 3 to her death at 22.

I am always the one taking pictures in my house, so I'm sure it'll be the same for me as well.

Our house has no pictures on the walls. We have scrolls and other such pretty things, but no pictures. The boys' have their birthday pictures under the glass in my coffee table, and I have the years before put neatly away. I so wish I could put pictures up, but DH hasn't allowed me to buy the frames or print the pictures.

My kids have a lot of pictures and I have many of DH. They will just have to search for mine when the time comes.

deann66
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

As a photographer I can't tell you how many family portraits have been ruined by one individual changing their mind at the last minute not to be involved in the photo shoot. And usually it's the mother. What I have to say is  this: It's not about you! It's about the FAMILY! To make it all about you and your insecurities and vanity is just selfish! Suck it up and in, take one for the team, and get into that picture! When you are older and all grown up, you'll look back at those photos and you won't even notice anything about you instead you'll look at your children, your spouse who may have since passed away, and you'll remember the good times that surrounded  that moment.  

Ummmm.....thats what the post is all about...maybe said a little gentler but still......

lukesmomma1979
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:15 PM

i love photos! i take my camera almost everywhere!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)