Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh crap! I am going to be one of those moms! update in purple

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:22 PM
  • 65 Replies

I am going to get my kid a cell phone. She just turned 11. I said I would never until she could pay for it on her own. She is into sports now and when she has games and meets she needs to call me when she gets back to go get her if I dont go to them. The office is locked and they dont go in the school they meet outside.

How can I make her earn money for minutes. It will be a prepaid phone and she will have to earn the minutes. If she does not have a game than she will not have the phone. That is all there is to it.

She shouldnt go through more than I will say 50 minutes a month because it is to call me to pick her up only. Not for anything else. no texting, I will be in the phone to see what is going on, no internet, no nothing but basic calling.

I am thinking about a firefly if they still make them.

So how can I make her earn minutes other than basic chores? What is a fair amount to give her?

Do you people honestly think tha twhen she has this phone she is not going to be calling and texting on it when she is not with me? If that is what you think than you are mistaken. I know it is going to happen, and for that reason I know she will burn through minutes. That is why I am making her earn the phone. So she can understand how far money goes when you dont put it down. Phones are not necessities.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brianav
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:24 PM
Basic chores and good grades is all I can think of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahbearamommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:24 PM
I don't think I'd make her earn them unless she could use it for reasons other than calling you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CullenLover
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Have her do extra chores and keep a chart and see what she earns.

FlyingMommy747
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:27 PM

You said you have an autistic daughter also in an earlier post.  Perhaps doing something special with her???

BOMBiiExMOMMiiE
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:28 PM
I don't think she should have to pay for the minutes to call you, if it going to be with her at all times and she was going to be texting and calling friends then I'd say good grades, basic chores and maybe "babysit" younger siblings one night a week so you can take a bath lol

But just to call you I vote nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vandyswife
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:29 PM

i think if it is ONLY to call you, and that is IT. she really shouldnt HAVE to earn it. I mean YOU are using this so that she can call YOU to pick her UP... its not like shes getting something cool to use as she wants. Technically its not even HERS, since she only gets to use it at games.

Butterflysky_24
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM

If the phone is not to call her friends or text or do anything fun, why should she have to earn it? It's more of a safety thing and  necessity, not a fun toy. She should still be doing chores just cuz she's a kid who needs responsibility, but i think earning the minutes just to call for a ride sounds wrong. And you are not one of those moms who gives their kid a phone unless you are letting her text all day long and stay on the phone and ignore people and be obnoxious and use it in school...

chcon
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Someone mentioned phones that are actually specifically for calling a limited number of phone numbers... that would be optimal if you could pick the numbers that it called so you know she can only call you/husband/etc... Not sure how much those are or if they are readily available or not.

deann66
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:31 PM

If she is only allowed to call you why make her pay for the minutes? If she is calling friends or texting then have her do extra things like laundry, babysitting siblings while you are busy, mow grass.....things not normally her responsibility.

mommawombat
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Brent has a net10  basic phone. I paid 20 for and it came with 300 minutes at walmart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)