Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pay as you go phones. A good deal?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:43 PM
  • 51 Replies

I have been looking at the pay as you go phones.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp

What seems to be the best deal?

I need her to have a phone to call me after games and meets that i dont attend. However if I make her earn it she can use it for other purposes as long as she is responsible and I reserve the right to go through it on a daily basis.

I think the .25 a minute is ridiculous. We are probably not going to go the unlimited way either.

I was leaning toward the $1 a day and just getting the card that is good for a year. It is $100 and it would be $1 per day she uses the phone. I am sure there will be other charges as well however I dont know what.

So what do you think is the best deal? Do you have a prepaid phone? Do you like it? I am going with AT&T because I have them and it would be mobile to mobile minutes for her to call.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deann66
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I have boost. I bought myself and both children one. Its only 10 cents a minute. No contract. Easy to add money. I have had boost for about 3-4 years and like them.

Boostmobile.com

-42-
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM

I use a prepaid phone that I bought at Wal-Mart. You buy the phone, then they sell the cards, or you can add money by using a bank card. 

Here's their website:

http://www.commoncentsmobile.com/

It's 7 cents a minute, but it's round-down. So if you're on the phone for four and a half minutes, you only get charged for four minutes.

I have a house phone, the cell I just have for emergencies.

"Hate is just a special kind of love we give to
people who suck."

AshMomToShawn
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM

The dollar a day one makes more sense.

My phone plan is 25 a month with no contract, I get 300 anytime minutes and unlimited messaging, picture messaging, web. It's through Virgin Mobile. I like it, love it really.   

sarahbearamommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:49 PM
It's probably cheaper just to add a line and pay the extra $5 or so a month and she can share the family minutes, if it's just for short calls. You can have texting turned off and net too. And just monitor minutes use, which I can do online for my lines(we have AT&T)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
noel1979
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I have had many pre paid phones. I have found that prepaid phones are not worth it. Be care full when u get something that says 100 bucks to start then a buck a day. they always find a way to charge u more. Att used to have a plan where it would be a normal cell plan with no 2 year contract. that is the best one out there,But thats just what i think.

dustinsmommy74
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:51 PM

BUMP!

canthaveboys1
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Quoting sarahbearamommy:

It's probably cheaper just to add a line and pay the extra $5 or so a month and she can share the family minutes, if it's just for short calls. You can have texting turned off and net too. And just monitor minutes use, which I can do online for my lines(we have AT&T)

It would be $10 for me to add her per month and than I would haveto up my package so we could share minutes. I dont think that would be worth it at all. I am really looking into the $1 a day package.

trist22
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:54 PM

right now I have the AT&T unlimited.. Why go any other way? It's 60 bucks a month for unlimited calls, texts, pictures etc.  My sprint bill on a plan was WAY more a month than the 60 I am paying now and if ever I couldn't pay it.. so what? It wouldn't affect my credit one bit!

canthaveboys1
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Quoting trist22:

right now I have the AT&T unlimited.. Why go any other way? It's 60 bucks a month for unlimited calls, texts, pictures etc.  My sprint bill on a plan was WAY more a month than the 60 I am paying now and if ever I couldn't pay it.. so what? It wouldn't affect my credit one bit!

Because it is for an 11 year old girl that has no business with unlimited everything.

Is it a contract? When do they shut you off for non payment?

robinalbright
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:57 PM
i use straight talk. you buy them and the cards at wal mart. for 30 a month you get 1000min 1000text 30mb for mobile web for a month. THE 45 dollar card is unlimited everything for a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)