Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are his ears keeping him from speaking? Update in purple

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:10 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son is almost two years old and isn't saying any words clearly! I don't know what to do? Any advice?

Got my son an appointment with his regular dr. on the 10th. Hopefully its nothing serious, but at least we have insurance to help us out.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShadowRaven
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Talk to his doc. Get a referral for an evaluation through your state's Early Intervention program (or a private evaluation, if you want) and a hearing test. The two go hand-in-hand, because it's standard procedure to get a hearing test to see if that's the cause of a speech delay (speech delays and hearing loss are treated differently).

It could be nothing, but if there is something wrong, then early intervention is absolutely necessary.

Lanie_momofone
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Im assuming that he is having a problem with his ears? If this is the case, then yes it could be delaying his speech.

Children learn to speak by mimicking us...and if he cannot hear what you are saying, he isnt going to know what sounds to make...in order to say any words. kwim?

lukesmomma1979
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM

i have a 2 yr old and he speaks about 30 words about half are distorted. we have to see a speech therapist to rule out speech problems that may be interfering in his eating habits gl!

kirstn007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM

hm, that is weird my son just turned 2 1/2 and speaks sentences all the time, just have his ears checked if he is fine then it is probably just him developing at his own pace it doesnt mean anything is wrong. when you call for him or say something, does he respond?

BugsySG
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:21 PM

He's never in his life had an ear infection, but he's pulled on his ears and smacked them since he was like six months old.

BugsySG
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Sometimes he replies right away if I'm loud, but if I'm just talking normail it takes a few times.

TheMillerFamily
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:23 PM
Randomly throughout the day say your sons name in a normal voice (not while hes concentrating on something) and see if he responds. He may not hear you the first time so say it twice.
But definitely get him evaluated and get a hearing test
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilgooberpea
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:24 PM

sounds like its time to get his hearing checked....

BugsySG
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll definately set something up with his DR and I'll put an update when we know what's going on.

tlo4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:30 PM
I think each child is different ... My daughter says VERY FEW words but I know she hears everything we say. When we give her directions she follows, if you hold her still and tell her to say something she will say it, but if your looking for her to ask for something or say something just for the heck of it you will grow older than dirt. Not sure whats going on with her I think shes just stubborn.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)