Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOW SCARY!!! 1 in 3 births now a c-section even in first time moms

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

If there's ever going to be progress in reducing the frequency of cesarean sections in this country, it sure will take a while.

The latest snapshot of how women give birth in the United States is sobering. Almost a third of women giving birth for the first time have C-sections. In the late '90s, about 1 in 5 of all deliveries were by cesarean.

One reason for the high proportion of C-sections now: 44 percent of attempted vaginal deliveries were induced, a decision which is twice as likely to lead to a cesarean. The medical records don't show whether the procedure was medically necessary.

"One message from this study is that physicians should use induction more judiciously," researcher Dr. Jun Zhang, told WebMD. "Another message is that they should probably slow down."

The findings, culled from the medical records of more than 230,000 births in the last decade, appear in the current American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Some of the factors behind the rise of cesareans, now at the highest rate ever, are more older and obese moms, more twins and other multiple births, bigger babies and longer labor.

A surprising finding, according to the researchers, was that first-time moms were about as likely to have cesareans as women who'd previously had one.

"To make a significant impact on the high cesarean delivery rate in the United States, the focus should be preventing unnecessary primary cesarean deliveries..." the researchers say.

Their recommendations include:

• Reducing the rate of cesareans associated with induced labor.
  • Coming up with standardized criteria for when to perform a c-section.
  • Upping the odds that women who've had a cesarean will get the chance to try a vaginal delivery.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Not surprising sadly.

ShortMommytobe
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Well i didnt have a choice, my water broke at 26 weeks and was admitted, had a c-section at 31 weeks, because my dd was getting ill in there

Dont be so harsh, not every c-section is a CHOICE

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM
I had to have a cs. DS had no fluids and had the cord wrapped around his body. Doc said he wouldn't've lived wo it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstn007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:30 PM

hm i was induced because my water broke also as a pp said and i wasnt having cotractions, i didnt have a c-section though..

dustinsmommy74
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:31 PM

This

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Not surprising sadly.

Momof5Teens67
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Wow thank you for sharing this important information.

Yvonne

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Quoting ShortMommytobe:

Well i didnt have a choice, my water broke at 26 weeks and was admitted, had a c-section at 31 weeks, because my dd was getting ill in there

Dont be so harsh, not every c-section is a CHOICE

Where do you see anything harsh?  it is a copied article with NO personal voice in it?

Why are people so overly sensitive and defensive about EVERYTHING......jeez

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

Wow thank you for sharing this important information.

Thank you............... man why is this so hard?  Here is an article I found talking about how rates are going up.  No finger pointing, no ( god I hate this word) bashing...just information yet already people overreacting.

LissaJ83
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:36 PM

IF I had a choice, I would've had a vaginal birth. I pushed for an hour and my baby wouldn't come out, she was getting distressed when I was pushing. The doctor said I have a narrow bone structure so I needed a c-section. I don't care that I had a ceserean my daughter is happy and healthy and thats all that matters to me. Childbirth should be a natural experience and not a medical procedure. However, people that have csections can't help it! My recovery was awful, I was so sick and in pain and my site got infected.

CafeMom Tickers
mylilgooberpea
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:37 PM

short mommy and jean are close to my story. water broke on its own not induced, and labor was only 14 hours. i needed a c section DS cord was wrapped around his neck 2x sunny side up and head sideways. we almost lost his HR completely 2x once during labor and while using every method poss while pushing. he wasn't tolerating labor and we needed to get him out  right then! if i had pushed him out he would have had serious injury or death. i cant have a VBAC because my Uterus tore to my cervix from pulling him up and out of the birth canal. i know have a T scar.... a c section saved my sons life the DR saved mine i lost 7 out fo the 12 units of blood you have in your body at one time..... they had to put me out because i started to FEEL the surgery very a typical birth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)