Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, has anyone heard of this?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:45 PM
  • 3 Replies

my husband just told me his nephew was diagnosed with this very recently. his cousin is having trouble dealing with it. his nephew was always kind of slow developementally and we figured he was autistic. this is very heartbreaking and i'm practically in tears. is there any of you ladies that have dealt with this or know of anyone? i just want to know more about it. here is what i've found so far:

The most common form of muscular dystrophy in children, Duchenne muscular dystrophy affects only males. It appears between the ages of 2 and 6. The muscles decrease in size and grow weaker over time yet may appear larger. Disease progression varies, but many sufferers need a wheelchair by the age of 12. In most cases, the arms, legs, and spine become progressively deformed. Some sufferers are mildly retarded. Severe breathing and heart problems mark the later stages of the disease. Sufferers usually die in their late teens or early 20s.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LancesMom
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family!

Honeybun09
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM

BUMP!

boom_maker
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:45 PM

thanks ladies. i don't know, maybe i'm looking for some hope or something. i wish something said this was something that could be overcome or cured.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)