Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long 'till we find out?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:34 PM
  • 11 Replies
We have a yellow lab/golden retriever mix. She and her sister were abandoned in a guys back yard, he was going to take them to the pound or kill them, so we took her. We have NO idea how old she is, we decided to wait untill ds started school and bf could get a day off to take her to get spayed.
So this morning we let her out of the garage (she's been in there since we found out she's in heat) to go to the bathroom. I go in to make coffee and look out the window and there is a male boxer trying to mount her! WTF? Where did he come from? We've lived here for 5 months and never seen another dog besides the female bloodhound that runs around. I think I got out there before he got anything in, but just in case... How long untill we know if she's pregnant? And how long does a dog pregnancy last?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tzejstorey
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:42 PM

HAHA...Sorry, those male dogs will come out of nowhere when theres a dog in heat!!!  Dogs pregnancies last for 60 days and in a few weeks you should start to notice signs.  Increased appetite, weight gain, sometimes the vet can feel around her uterus for puppies.  Good luck!!   

jackieibird
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:45 PM

If they were not hooked up, then the likelyhood of her being pregnant is slim to none.

tanya_marieh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:49 PM

This.

Quoting jackieibird:

If they were not hooked up, then the likelyhood of her being pregnant is slim to none.

mama_girl07
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:50 PM

If they werent stuck together when you went out there likely she isnt pregnant. I think most dogs get "stuck" together for about 20 mins when doing the deed and will most likely be pregnant.

HeartsLove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:10 PM

MEN! lol..... can a dog POAS?! Ok that's weird, but wouldn't that be kinda interesting if it worked lol

Quoting tzejstorey:

HAHA...Sorry, those male dogs will come out of nowhere when theres a dog in heat!!!  Dogs pregnancies last for 60 days and in a few weeks you should start to notice signs.  Increased appetite, weight gain, sometimes the vet can feel around her uterus for puppies.  Good luck!!   

Heart_Transplants.gif

Jessand2boys
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:13 PM

They are pregger for 2 months and some change... it takes about 3 weeks for you to be able to tell.. watch her teats.. for swelling and you can feel her belly is hard.. feel her now so you have a base reference. heat lasts almost amonth by the way... and some vets WILL spay when they are in heat..

HeartsLove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I've also heard that if you take an animal in to get fixed and they're already pregnant, they'll terminate and do it anyway, sometimes without letting you know. I don't know how legitimate that is, and I hope it's not true

Quoting Jessand2boys:

They are pregger for 2 months and some change... it takes about 3 weeks for you to be able to tell.. watch her teats.. for swelling and you can feel her belly is hard.. feel her now so you have a base reference. heat lasts almost amonth by the way... and some vets WILL spay when they are in heat..

Heart_Transplants.gif

BaileynMe
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I've never heard of a vet doing it without letting the owner know there were puppies. A friend of mine went to get her dog spayed and found out she was pregnant and they decided to let the dog have the litter. Either way you could always TELL the vet you suspect pregnancy and that you'd like to allow her to have the litter if she IS pregnant. 

Quoting HeartsLove:

I've also heard that if you take an animal in to get fixed and they're already pregnant, they'll terminate and do it anyway, sometimes without letting you know. I don't know how legitimate that is, and I hope it's not true

Quoting Jessand2boys:

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

elynne75
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:27 PM

The scent of a female dog can travel up to like a mile. He's traveled far to find her.

momof2gingers
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM
LOL! I guess he has traveled far, seeing as he hasn't went home yet. I swear he must have been hiding in the woods. We just put her back in the garage after another potty break (we all were outside with her), and we all went in. Like 5 minutes later he's looking in the patio door at me. Then he went and peed on oldest ds (4) bike. All I hear was ds going "Go away doggie!! Bad doggie!! Awww!! I just cleaned my bike! Stupid box cutter (boxer)"

Quoting elynne75:

The scent of a female dog can travel up to like a mile. He's traveled far to find her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)