Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alcohoic.

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:30 PM
  • 52 Replies

Poll

Question: How often do you drink?

Options:

never

hollidays and special occasions

weekends

several times a week

every day

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 89

View Results

So I have a question. I was at my Moms Saturday night, and I picked up a good bottle of wine, and we were going to spend the evening playing cards.

I have a 4 year old, and my husband works a lot, so she is ALWAYS with me. My mom and I drank our wine out of Dixie Cups, played out cards, just had a good innocent time.

My Grandmother lives with my mom, so she saw me pouring the wine into our Dixie cups, and made a remark about how much my mom and I drink. I don't know about my mom, but I drink weekly.

I roughly have 2 glasses of wine 2 or 3 times a week. Does this make me an alcoholic? How do you know if you are an alcoholic? Should I feel guilty?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanya_marieh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I usually have a glass or two on the weekends.  I wouldn't consider you an alcoholic.  You aren't trying to hide your drinking and you don't have that much so I don't think that it's bad.

mama_girl07
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I RARELY ever drink, Ive had one drink this yr and that was for my birthday. Alcohol makes me sick so I just avoid it

KGant6285
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I know and that was my feeling...but my Nanny made me feel all guilty, saying that one glass will always lead to another.

AuntieV
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Alcohol has not passed my lips since 1989. It is just not my thing.

tyfry7496
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:39 PM

No, unless you can NOT live without the alcohol.

worwalkerlds
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Its not how often you drink or really how much you drink, its really all about how you act when you do drink. If you cannot go without drinking or if you use it for a crutch, as in "Ive had a bad day I NEED a drink" you may have a problem... I am a recovering alcoholic, over 3 years, so If you really feel you have a problem you can ask me anything.  Everybody has their own lows, some people are sicker than others.

JZB
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:41 PM

As long as you are not unable to care for your kids and it's not causing any problems then no

STACIEH
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:42 PM
I drink occasionally when we go out. Sometimes I'll buy a bottle of wine. I don't ever get drunk. It's against my religion to imbibe in anything enough where it alters your mind. I see nothing wrong with a fine wine and a good steak.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I rarely drink... Maybe once or twice a year.. My papaw was an alcoholic and every memory I have of him involves a drink.. Beer was his weakness.. He was always drunk.. My BIL is an alcoholic.. He drink 24-48 beers a day.. my sister says he stopped drinking, but believe me, someone that deep into addiction isn't going to just pick up and stop.. Especially with the problems he has.. You're an alcoholic when you feel that you need it, when you crave it! My papaw would have beer in the mornings instead of coffee... He would pass out while smoking and burn holles in every piece of furniture he had..

KGant6285
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I don't drink enough to act any different, it's just alcoholism runs in my family, so it scares me a little bit.

Quoting worwalkerlds:

Its not how often you drink or really how much you drink, its really all about how you act when you do drink. If you cannot go without drinking or if you use it for a crutch, as in "Ive had a bad day I NEED a drink" you may have a problem... I am a recovering alcoholic, over 3 years, so If you really feel you have a problem you can ask me anything.  Everybody has their own lows, some people are sicker than others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)