Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hurricane earl

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:49 PM
  • 24 Replies

so im not unfamiliar with hurricanes as i grew up in FL but this is the first one in NC so i dont really know how it looks. Things are really uncertain at this point if itll make landfall here (jacksonville nc) and theres already talks of evacuations but idk...

im just annoyed. we're supposed to close on our new house tomorrow and they may postpone it cuz of this storm which isnt supposed to effect us til thursday. UGH.

i have to get candles and flashlights and some water and some canned foods... not looking forward to that trip...its payday tomorrow, now the hurricane itll be a nightmare at walmart looks like a midnight run is in order.

anyone else being effected by the hurricane?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
STACIEH
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:52 PM
Get out your water and flashlights/candles. It really depends on where in jville you live. I lived in Trenton for 14 years and bc it's a small town we could be w/o power for up to 2 weeks. We never evacuated (but if your in a trailer I would) and we had a generator. Prepare for lots of rain and possible flooding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanya_marieh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I'm in Norfolk, va and Hubby is in the navy and we will find out tomorrow if they are going to have us leave the area.  I just wish I knew anything about hurricanes but I'm from MN so all I've ever had to deal with was tornados.

Bonnie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:02 PM

When I was in High School, hurricane Hugo hit North Carolina. I was living in Burlington at the time. We experienced some power outages, but nothing long-term. Make sure you have batteries, flash lights and a few extra gallons of fresh drinking water. :-)

Also, cash might not be a bad idea. If there are several outages, you won't likely be able to withdraw from ATM machines.

lundaylove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:07 PM

ahhh cash, forgot about that. that will be a major thing. we're in a house (both our rental we're in now, and the house we're closing on tomorrow- our first home we'll own!) and i will buy flashlights and candles tonight. we're not in a flood zone.. pretty good distance from the coast but who knows. theres been talks of evacuating the base... idk why but...

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM

That is a good point about cash.  For those stocking canned goods, be sure you have a manual can opener.

lundaylove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:15 PM

we have a manual.... im just not sure of what foods to get. i dont like chef boyardee or anything like that lol

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Peanut butter and crackers are a standby. Or bread will keep for a while not refrigerated, as will jelly- for a few days.  Tuna is fine eaten cold. Fruit. I have a small grill that I plan to use if needed to heat water or canned food, but it has to be used outside. So you may want to do that and then you don't need to try to get foods that are good to eat without heating. Lunchables aren't very nutritious, but they don't need refrigerated or heated. Some canned vegetables are tasty enough not heated- green beans, for example. Bean salad and picked beets are two more canned vegetables that don't need heated. If you are without power for a while you'll probably welcome tea or coffee, so the grill idea so you can at least heat water is reasonable. Since you don't like chef boyardee, maybe soups, or there's some brand of hash and stew.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Hope it doens't get posptned on you mama, happy storm shopping!!

piwife
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:55 AM
Well op you know am here in jville. I really would like to know what's gonna happen. Dh got propane this weekend.( Love to gril) so if the power goes out well I guess we r going to grill. Am by the walmart on yopp
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsMalsam
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:00 AM

We live in Jacksonville too. Well actually just outside of it in Richlands by the airport. My hubby has been stationed here for 5 years and has never experienced a hurricane. We're both from Colorado, so we have no clue what to expect. He's taking this lightly saying nothing will happen...But with all the hype about it, I can't help but worry a little bit. I'm considering taking a midnight run to walmart myself! It is going to be a complete madhouse, both the old and new walmarts. Hope you guys get to close on your house without any delay!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)