Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Abandoned 15yr old

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:36 PM
  • 8 Replies

my in laws are seperated. MIL got her own apartment and left the kids with FIL but he works all the time and is only home at night. now FIL has a girlfriend he has been staying with SIL has been staying with a friend of hers but BIL whos 15 has been living alone this was one his face book

i am so tired of being home alone all the time with nobody two talk to :/

so i was thinking of talking to DH of maybe taking in BIL it just makes me uncomfortable that he's up there living alone. he's only 15 he's not old enough to be alone, what are your thoughts is there a process i should go through first?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AES514
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:39 PM
15 is old enough to be home alone....
But anyway. There are many what-ifs to the situation.
like... Why can't mom take him? Does your hubby want him? Does he want to live with you? How would it work financially? Who's insurance would he be on?
Ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
camy41075
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I think it is pretty shity of ur fil; but good job for u b/c not many people would do it and if you can handle it then go for it I would do it for one of my nephews

BaileynMe
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Sounds kind of like what's been happening with my family. Parents are planning on divorcing; CURRENTLY mom is living in the basement so both parents are in the home, but for a while she was living with my uncle and she's been traveling a lot. My dad works from home, but he's not a talker and he works like 80 hours on that job (lots of conference calls and chats) and then on the weekends he works overnights at the nearest Walmart. My sisters were staying with me on weekends (16, 15, and 9) because technically if they're minors they're not SUPPOSED to be home alone like that. 

Maybe you could have him over to dinner a few times a week or bring dinner to him. I'd be willing to bet he's not eating well, especially if your FIL isn't there most of the time. This was a problem with my sisters when my mom was moved out, and since she plans on going to live with family/friends several states away, I foresee it being a problem in the future. My dad just isn't used to having to put the kids' needs before his own, not because he's selfish but because he's always been the main breadwinner while mom was always home in the evenings to cook (she does work during the day as an eye dr's tech.) 

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Quoting camy41075:

if you can handle it then go for it 

Mom                  Dad              Chazz (8y)         Rocco (4y)         Joey (23m) 

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who still loves her tattoos, piercings and hair dye

rockinmomto2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I think it's SUPER important for teenagers to have stability. If your FIL is never there, that poor kid has no one. If you can afford it, and have the space, have him live with you. Sounds like he needs it!

offrdngal
by Terri on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM

He is old enough to be left alone.  It's not fair to him, though, that he is being left alone all the time because girlfriends are more important.  He still needs interaction with his father.  If you have the space and energy for him to stay with you, i would definitely put the offer on the table and go from there.

deann66
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:56 PM

My mom was in the hospital for 8 months when I was 16. My dad had just passed away. So I was all alone with my sis checking in every couple of days. I think I would have preferred being home to living with her but only because we did not like each other and I was more comfy in my own bed. But it was soooooo lonely. I think if you talk to him and he wants to stay with you you should talk to hubby and then FIL and make it happen. If he doesn't want to stay with you maybe he could just come for dinner, hang out once in awhile?

xotee2006
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:02 PM

i dont think he's old enough to be left alone that much.  a few hours a day. no problem, but all the time,  he needs stability, someone to take caer of him and make sure he's doing the right things, as in school work, etc.   

why not just ask your BIL if he'd like to come spend the night?  if it works out, do it a few times or more a week.  if it works out. then progress.  

my nephew lives with me.  my sister lost him.   but he's 5 not 15 lol.  i think 15 might be easier :-p  best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)