• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you know if your baby has colic?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

My DD will be 4 weeks on Wednesday, and starting a couple days ago she started getting so fussy. She's acting like she has a belly ache, constantly does that mouth thing she does when she wants food, gets pretty strong hiccups multiple times a day, and is really gassy. When she gets fussy like that, holding her is pretty much the only thing that consoles her. I'm not sure if this is just a phase or if she's getting really colicy. Any advice would be appreciated, whether you think it's colic or have any advice on helping baby bellies. Please help me! I hate it when she's upset...

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mel600
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:17 AM

see if she is still wants food. if not try holding her on her tummy. so there's more pressure. swings and bouncy seats help too. Congrats and the lil one.

velvetnbrielle
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Talk to your doctor. I believe they say if they cry for 3 hours straight, 3 or more times a day for 3 or more days a week, then its colic. My nephew had colic. Hes 5 months now and is doing fine. My sister used gas medicine and gripe water and feed him a certain amount of ounces of food every 2 hours and gave him water with a teaspoon of gripe every 2 hours as well. Hope this helps!

Rhiannon1988
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Quoting mel600:

see if she is still wants food. if not try holding her on her tummy. so there's more pressure. swings and bouncy seats help too. Congrats and the lil one.

this. and also talk to your doctor about what to give her.. neither one of my kids were had colic so i dunno what you can give her.. you may be able to give her some baby gas medicine. and it may help if you quit drinking milk if you're BFing.. or if you're FFing she may need to switch to a different formula..

Rhiannon1988
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM

i suggest rocking her back and forth holding her on her belly, kind of upside down from the way you normally rock her.

DavBryMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:38 AM
My son had colic bad... and it started around 4 or 5 weeks. His best friend was the swing... ok MY best friend was his swing lol. Even putting him in his infant car seat and making a swinging motion w/it by hand came in handy when not home. Dr had us give him gas drops too. He was on soy formula already so we knew it wasn't lactose issue. The drops could be added right to his formula and it made such a difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:44 AM
My son had colic and i was ff. We switched from the powdered formula to the premixed and it made a huge difference. It's more expensive but we were able to go back to the powder when he got older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pherlyce
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:54 AM

My eldest had a colic, holding and rocking her is the only thing that calms her, and it will go away just be patience, her colic stop  when she is 6 months.

DanielleKay87
by on Sep. 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I think I have ruled out colic, thank goodness. I'm pretty sure that my daughter is just a little sick. She's been getting a lot less fussy and she's been eating better. I hope whatever this crud is it passes quickly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)