Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paying a baby-sitter

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:46 AM
  • 9 Replies
I'm posting for my best friend who doesn't have an account, LOL. She and her husband (nor me & my husband) have never used a "baby-sitter" before. If the kids need watched, they go to the grandparents. Well, BFF & her DH have volunteered to lead their church youth group, so they have to get a regular sitter for about 2.5 hours every Wednesday night. They are going to use either her 16 year old niece or his cousin, who I believe is a couple years older than the niece.

How much should BFF & her DH pay the sitter? Not to sound cheap, LOL, but can they pay less b/c it's close family? They don't want to be cheap, but money is very tight.

Oh, the kids are 5 and 2, both very well-behaved. Sitter will watch them for an hour & put them to bed. They will be with them from 6:45 pm to 9:15 pm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:48 AM

They should pay her the same amount that they would pay a non-family member. It will be good for the morale of the sitter and make sure that the sitter won't have something else to do some of those times.

cara124
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:52 AM

my dd is 15 and my sister pays her about  20$ to watch her to kids 5,6 for about the same amount of time....the best advice i can give you is ask the babysitter what they charge for the service.

Iluvjandkplus8
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:52 AM

It's very rare I use a sitter but when I do it's sometimes my niece and sometimes a family friend's daughter. I have 2 boys (6 and 3) and I pay $10/hr.

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:17 AM
I'd say $15-$20 since it's night and she'll be responsible for bedtime for two kids. I wouldn't pay less for family. I'd actually pay more since I'd figure that as family the sitter would take better care of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brianne036
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM
Usually when working with the church you bring your children to the church nursery. At any church I've gone to atleast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kdgord
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:25 AM
I watch my cousin's kids(ages 4, 3, 1) sometimes for about 2.5 to 3 hours and she gives me $20 for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
klsmom112010
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:29 AM

I'd say $20 sounds more than fair to watch two kids, especially since they only have to watch them for an hour and put them to bed.

lapcounter
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:31 AM
We pay our sitters $15 to $20 an hour.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaxNMakennasMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:37 AM
Thanks ladies! To the reply about the church nursery, their 2 y/o will NOT go to the nursery. She freaks out for some reason. That is actually why BFF volunteered to help her DH with the youth group. She hasn't been to church in about a year b/c her DD not only freaks in the nursery, but in services as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)