• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wanting to plan a vacation with a toddler in tow

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:01 AM
  • 8 Replies

First...my husband and I have been married for 16 years and we have never taken a "true" vacation ever.  All our trips involve going to visit family since they live so far away, so we stay at their houses and we don't really do anything "vacationy".  The only thing we've ever done is a weekend in Orlando but nothing longer than 3 days.  Sad...I know. The only other trip we've been on that didn't involve family was a mission trip in Peru, but that was not a vacation.

Anyway, we're thinking about doing a trip and one of our friends was telling us it's cheaper to go to Mexico than it is to go to any of the beaches here.  I just don't know how to plan a trip that would involve staying somewhere other than family and we're also very very much on a budget so I'd be interested in knowing places I could research online that you have found to be reliable. 

I'd have to get my passport renewed and get a passport for my little boy, but that's not an issue for me. 

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Orbitz is a good site to start with. They generally have good deals. We have also used Travelocity once since it was cheaper. Just look around at different sites and find the cheapest deal.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I would not go to Mexico. lol

What state do you live in?

I don't know if you enjoy camping but we have gone on vacations and camped out by the beach and it was not only very relaxing but a lot of fun. We went camping a few times this year with a 3.5 year old and a 1.5 year old.

ohmommamia
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM
I usually use expedia to book our vacations. Not really sure why it would be cheaper to go to Mexico. I guess it depends on where u live and how u r getting there. Good luck. Hope u find a great vacation!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carinyosa99
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Well, I'd like to go to Mexico or another Spanish speaking country (although I really am not interested in the Caribbean islands).

We live in Maryland so we'd be flying out of the Baltimore and Washington DC airports (there are 3 of them here). 

I hate camping - not an outdoorsy person at all.

I kind of need someone else to do most of the "planning" part.  I'm pretty interested in all inclusive places but then that could be more expensive.

LSurvivor78
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:50 AM

we just grab a phone and make a ton of calls... find a cheap hotel close to where we want to be. Or use a travel agent. We did that when we went to the Bahama's when I was pregnant with my last son. They helped alot as far as finding cheap airline flights, the best price on the cruise tickets..etc..

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:58 AM

take a look at a site called Rascals in Paradise (.com I believe.) They have all sorts of trips for families with children. They may or may not be in your price range, but they will give you ideas.

One place we went 2x when our older kids were under 5 was Jamaica, to a place called Franklyn D. Resort. The all inclusive price includes a vacation nanny (the same person stays with your family if you stay 5 days or 15.) The food was ok, but because there was the nanny, I got some adult time with DH on our own.

Kim.Gage
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I would recommend going on a cruise.  I went last year with my mom and sister to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.  The cost was approx $500 per person including all meals but not including shore excursions.  We didn't take any children with us but the ship had a daycare center with planned activities for children of all ages.  We had a blast but I realize that cruising is not for everyone. 

carinyosa99
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I like the idea of a cruise, but probably not till Jonathan is a little bit older.  I really would love to go to Bermuda - I lived there as a kid and I have always wanted to go back.  My old babysitter still lives there, in the same house she did back then, and I would love to see her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)