Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal ideas needed, please.

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM
  • 12 Replies

Good morning!

This week I've started working a couple evenings a week to make some extra money.  DD gets off the bus at 4:20 and we have to leave the house just 10 minutes later.  I have to drop the kids off at their dad's office and rush to get to work by 5.  It's workable, but rushed!

My problem is dinner.  DH works hard all day, and I hate for him to have to cook when he gets home.  I need ideas of dinners I can either have cooked already (they won't be home until at least 5:30, but most likely 6) or that would be extra easy for DH to put together himself.  I also really need them to be healthy.

Thanks in advance!  :)

Beckie

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dosthepost
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM

any soups, casseroles, stews, etc are easy to stick in the oven or on the stove and heat up. 

You could also just have him make the kids some submarine sandwiches (we LOVE them sometimes for dinner), and baked fries. How old are your kids?

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

BaileynMe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:02 AM

The crockpot is your friend. I'd get a crockpot cookbook and go from there. 

Pasta is pretty easy. You can buy jarred sauces if that makes life simpler. In fact, one of our fave dishes is a spin on Cajun chicken pasta; we buy jarred alfredo sauce and add fresh chopped peppers (red, orange, or yellow, 1 if large 2 if not) and tomatoes (2 or 3 roma, depending on size), cayenne to taste, and a dash of paprika, then cook on a low heat until the peppers are tender. That's the sauce. We grill chicken strips, cut into bite sized pieces, and cook penne pasta. Then we mix it up in a big bowl. It's easy, though it does take a little time. 

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Kiddos are 9 and 2, and they aren't picky (with the exception of DD hating asparagus!)  :)

I could make something earlier in the day and throw it in the fridge.  It would take too long to warm back up if it came out of the freezer.....

Quoting dosthepost:

any soups, casseroles, stews, etc are easy to stick in the oven or on the stove and heat up. 

You could also just have him make the kids some submarine sandwiches (we LOVE them sometimes for dinner), and baked fries. How old are your kids?

Amanda_82
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Crock Pot meals like pork chops in mushroom soup, soup and sandwhiches, veggies and fruit, i sometimes have cereal and toast for supper. hope this helps.

Tee1169

crock pot it!!!  you can put anything it the crock pot (chicken, beef stir fry, pork ANYTHING) during the day and set it on low and by the time DH gets home the main course would be ready -- when you have a chance buy vegetables in bulk get freezer bags separate for small meals and when you're ready toss in the microwave.  I've done it with a little butter freeze it then before I toss it in the mircowave I make little slits in the bag.

That sounds yummy!  Is it good after it's been warmed again?

Quoting BaileynMe:

Pasta is pretty easy. You can buy jarred sauces if that makes life simpler. In fact, one of our fave dishes is a spin on Cajun chicken pasta; we buy jarred alfredo sauce and add fresh chopped peppers (red, orange, or yellow, 1 if large 2 if not) and tomatoes (2 or 3 roma, depending on size), cayenne to taste, and a dash of paprika, then cook on a low heat until the peppers are tender. That's the sauce. We grill chicken strips, cut into bite sized pieces, and cook penne pasta. Then we mix it up in a big bowl. It's easy, though it does take a little time. 

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Thanks.  :)

Quoting Tee1169:

crock pot it!!!  you can put anything it the crock pot (chicken, beef stir fry, pork ANYTHING) during the day and set it on low and by the time DH gets home the main course would be ready -- when you have a chance buy vegetables in bulk get freezer bags separate for small meals and when you're ready toss in the microwave.  I've done it with a little butter freeze it then before I toss it in the mircowave I make little slits in the bag.

dosthepost
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I would just do that. you could make homemade pizza, or put together a casserole and leave him directions on how long to cook it. Even just leave him some pita bread and let the kids stuff their own pitas... way easy for dad!

Quoting 081499:

Kiddos are 9 and 2, and they aren't picky (with the exception of DD hating asparagus!)  :)

I could make something earlier in the day and throw it in the fridge.  It would take too long to warm back up if it came out of the freezer.....

Quoting dosthepost:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Hi,

You might also want to post in these groups:

Meal Planning
Easy Everyday Recipes
Recipes for Busy Moms

have a nice day~The Cafe Group Admin Team

BaileynMe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM

VERY. I've never frozen it, but it may even do ok being frozen. It's about the only thing DH will eat as leftovers. :-) 

Quoting 081499:

That sounds yummy!  Is it good after it's been warmed again?

Quoting BaileynMe:

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)