Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on...

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM
  • 5 Replies

A cage for my chinchilla.  Right now she has this cage...

Super Pet Multi-Floor Ferret Home

The problem is she likes to pee on the top level and it's eating away at the plastic.  She poops EVERYWHERE and a ton then she runs through it and spreads it all over my floor.  My baby girl will be crawling soon and so I have to do something!

I can buy new levels for this one but that really won't solve my problem.  Cleaning the cage daily does not solve my problem.  

I'm wondering if a cage with wire levels like this will fix it?

Brand New 5 Levels Ferret Chinchilla Hamster Cage 32x20x61 --- F5Stand

So the pee and poop can just fall straight down and not remain on the shelves?  It's easy enough to clean out the bottom of the cage and it all stays contained there.

Any ideas?

And for those who are wondering this is my chinchilla..

I need a tall and skinny cage because I live in a small house!

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CullenLover
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I have a ferret and her cage is similar to that one, only down fall is that sometimes poop gets stuck in between the bars on the floor, but i take a clorox wipe and wipe it off and its good to go, id say go for it,

BaileynMe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Bump! I don't know anything about chinchillas other than they like dust baths; a friend of mine puts a bowl of flour on the floor for hers to play in, lol. 

LSurvivor78
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM

They make guards you could attach to the outside of the cage to help deflect the flying poop and keep it mostly in the cage.. or even attach plexi glass on the outside although that will make it more difficult to clean.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done about their messes =( I had one and just had to clean the floors and cage all the time.

BaileynMe
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Could you put a mat down on the floor? Then when it was time to clean all you'd have to do is throw it in the washer. 

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Too bad they don't sell wire shelves for this cage!  That would save me a TON of money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)